Guitar Synth Effect?

Samuel Bmbs

There are two types of guitar synths - guitar to midi and wave shaping. The old Roland GR-300 that Pat Metheny used was wave shaping. In that vein there is also the GR-500, VG-88, VG-99, GP-10, and Boss SY-300 and SY-1000. Many of the later models also have gtr-to-midi. These are polyphonic. There are some multi fx boxes that have a synth fx, but they are usually monophonic.  Electro Harmonix has made some pedals in the wave shaping vein like the Micro Synth. I'm not aware of vsts that are doing this although there may be some. Guitar Rig 6 has a Harmonic Generator fx - I think it is monophonic and is modelled on the Micro Synth. 

Edited by rsinger
  • Like 1

yeah, i also use Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 2, but it helps to have a few synth VST plugins to make full use of it (there are some decent free ones out there if cost is an issue).  word has it that a new version of the software is coming out soon & if you already own MIDI Guitar 2, the new version will be free

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, wetdentist said:

yeah, i also use Jam Origin's MIDI Guitar 2, but it helps to have a few synth VST plugins to make full use of it (there are some decent free ones out there if cost is an issue).  word has it that a new version of the software is coming out soon & if you already own MIDI Guitar 2, the new version will be free

Yes, Z3TA+2 and Rapture Pro work quite well in MG2.

• Like 2