Midi out question - want to trigger sounds on my computer but midi data to another. Hired gun.

Michael Fogarty

so, I am doing a session tomorrow and this is probably a simple answer but not getting my head around it. I am recording keys at a clients house. I want to trigger my sounds (VST) on my computer but he gets the midi data. My computers transport will not be running. But I will use midi out of my controller into midi in of Cakewalk. I will send him a stereo audio signal out in realtime. 
  But how does he get the midi? If I send a midi out from my interface (Babyface) into his computer is that going to work? Will he get the data? Weird I can’t grasp this. Is midi thru what I am looking for?

Edited by Michael Fogarty

lots of ways 
You could record the midi data to your computer and save it as a midi file. Then transfer the files to his computer. Easy.

Or 
To record to his computer if their interface has midi then yes you would connect both your audio and midi outputs to their interfaces midi and audio inputs. 
You would need to make sure that the VST you are using has its midi outputs selected. That way your midi input will be sent to your midi output of the interface. 

Easy way would be if they have the same VST instrument you use installed on their DAW. 

Edited by John Vere

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

lots of ways 
You could record the midi data to your computer and save it as a midi file. Then transfer the files to his computer. Easy.

Or 
To record to his computer if their interface has midi then yes you would connect both your audio and midi outputs to their interfaces midi and audio inputs. 
You would need to make sure that the VST you are using has its midi outputs selected. That way your midi input will be sent to your midi output of the interface. 

Easy way would be if they have the same VST instrument you use installed on their DAW. 

Thank you John.

Hi. Number 1 won’t work, as I mentioned in my post, my transport won’t be running so how can I record the midi data?

Number 3, they 🙄  don’t have the same VST instruments otherwise why I am going to this trouble.

Number 2 I see. That is the purpose of that “enable midi out”. Thank you.

Will this work - thought of this as I woke up. Send my midi out to his midi in to a  track on his computer (no triggered VST ). Send the midi out of his interface to my computer and use it like an external module. Seems the simplest. Or am I missing something (probably.)

Number 2 seems like a winner.

Edited by Michael Fogarty