Just got myself an Yamaha 02R mixer. Thoughts ?

iRelevant

I just got myself an Yamaha 02R mixer, firmware rev. 1.x. Beautiful looking thing with fan less design. 

Wonder if anybody has any opinions of the usability of it these days. Any tips ? 

I also got hold of the Visualizer SW for it, for editing and remote control of the mixer. Look like this need Win95/NT to operate unfortunately.

Wondering if if would be worth trying to get hold of the TC Unity card, as well as upgrading the firmware to 2.x. ?

Is anybody aware of some trick to smooth up the movement of the faders ? They feel a bit rusty. Mixer been stored away in someones attic for "awhile".

I have one with V2 system. We used to use it with a 24 trk ADAT set-up years ago. Today I use it as  synth mixer basically. It has the meter bridge and Adat cards and the  TC-Unity card. All in a custom desk. Still a great operating rig. Sounds fine, and everything works. It was owned by Peter Framptons studio many years ago. I'm not sure if the Version 2 does anything for Fader movement - but the one I have operates smoothly. You might do a little research to see if a little fader lube might help. It might not hurt to try it on one. I had an O1V as well  - and just went through it and cleaned all the switches and pots - and lubed the faders as well. It didn't seem to do much for the faders - but they were a little clunky compared to the O2R.

Edited by RBH
  • Like 1

Synth mixer is a good idea. I have a bunch of MIDI modules, and I picked up from the manual that it is possible to adjust the delay on incoming signals. If this works how I think, it would be possible to synchronize for super tightness across all devices (Disregarding possible MIDI jitter on the MIDI inn channels).
Mine came well kept in a flight case with meter bridge, and 3 x optical ADAT cards. Only damage is one broken rotary encoder. Guess I can find a replacement on ebay.
Thanks for the tips about fader lube, I will look into it and start out with one fader and see how it goes. 

3 hours ago, iRelevant said:

Synth mixer is a good idea. I have a bunch of MIDI modules, and I picked up from the manual that it is possible to adjust the delay on incoming signals. If this works how I think, it would be possible to synchronize for super tightness across all devices (Disregarding possible MIDI jitter on the MIDI inn channels).
Mine came well kept in a flight case with meter bridge, and 3 x optical ADAT cards. Only damage is one broken rotary encoder. Guess I can find a replacement on ebay.
Thanks for the tips about fader lube, I will look into it and start out with one fader and see how it goes. 

Yamaha are usually excellent for spares, regardless of how old your equipment is. 

It might be worth ringing them and getting a quote first, so you can compare to eBay prices.

19 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Yamaha are usually excellent for spares, regardless of how old your equipment is. 

It might be worth ringing them and getting a quote first, so you can compare to eBay prices.

Hmmm ... I will give it a shot. I'm located in Norway and it is so so with parts. Tried Roland for parts a few years ago, end ended up on a long windy telephone trip which ended at some  service subcontractor with nothing to offer. 

1 minute ago, iRelevant said:

Thank you Mark. Your very helpful. Me like. Is that a Guinness I see in your hand on your profile picture ? Used to be my lunch during my uni years in Glesgew :)

I think that was me drinking a dark beer after a good day's hiking in the Bavarian Alps.... but I rarely turn down a pint of Guinness :)