Monitor question. Bapu?

Shane_B.

Bapu, I seem to remember you mentioning you got a large monitor a while back. I think a 45" or larger maybe?

We just got a 50" 4K TV to put in a room I'm remodeling. I hooked it up to my DAW just to see how it would work and it actually functions in 4K resolution unlike most TV's when used as monitors. I tried running it off my old video card and the mouse lag was really bad. I switched to my CPU's video output which actually specs better than my old GeForce card and it's a lot better but not quite perfect. There's still a bit of mouse lag.

I'm thinking if I had a modern video card that actually supported 4K UHD that this TV would work extremely well. My CPU's video output supports 4K resolution but not actually 4K UHD and there's a difference. My old GeForce card is the same way but it doesn't even come close to my CPU's specs. I'm starting to think that the video card is more important now than it used to be, especially with Studio One. Editing with it on a large screen is a joy. OMG. I'm starting to understand the whole curved monitor thing now though. I absolutely see how it would be a plus.

I got an LG 50UP7670PUC from Sam's Club and it's an excellent TV. I think it's a Sam's exclusive because I can't find it anywhere else. I can stream 4K UHD movies on the apps and the clarity is stunning. There's a lot of 4K UHD demo video's on Youtube that are incredible if you're in to eye candy. I was using a really cheap Vizio and it worked well but they did a software update and it stopped working as a monitor. I'll never buy another Vizio. It's been a piece of garbage after they did a couple of software updates. At first it worked great.

What kind of video card are you using? Is what you got a TV or actual PC Monitor? How is the mouse lag? Do you think a better video card would eliminate the mouse lag I'm seeing? 4K Video on youtube through my DAW plays perfect.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

I'm using the onboard HDMI video

The HDMI port's capabilities are determined by your CPU. The new Gen CPU's support HDR. They all support 4K resolution but the HDR part is different. Mine does not support HDR and I think that's where the problem is.

1 hour ago, craigb said:

My 40" 4k TV has worked flawlessly even using the on-board video output (HDMI).

Thanks. I'm running an i7-6700. It's pretty old now but there's zero chance of the boss letting me upgrade. I mean, gee. I already upgraded 6 years ago. 🙄 Prior to that I was running my DAW off thumb drives. No lie. 

I wish video cards weren't so outrageously priced right now. My neighbor is an IT type something. I'll see if he has a newer one laying around. I'm not really sure what he does but drink, play video games, and collect money for doing nothing in his makeshift "server room" in his barn. But hey, good for him. 👍🏻

• 3 weeks later...

So I went to Sam's Club and they have these TV's on sale now. $60 bucks off. I kept wondering why they were on clearance because the sign said "New for 2021". Then it dawned on me, holy shit, it's almost 2022. 😩 I asked the very nice lady if I could get a price match refund. It had been 30 days and she said they only did that for 14 days. I laid on the ol' Bub charm and had her laughing and she finally said ok. So I got $60 bucks back plus I grabbed another one. They only had 2 left. These are incredible TV's for the price. We are putting the one I'm using now in our bedroom when I'm finished remodeling it and then I'll use the second one for a PC monitor.

It's a little sluggish when I use it as a monitor but I can live with it. I know it would be fine if I had an actual video card. Using Studio One is a pleasure on this huge screen at 4K. I was always ticked that I couldn't make the track screen expand enough to make a single track full screen but I discovered if you double click them and pull them up in the Editor, you can then make them full screen. 👍🏻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

So I went to Sam's Club and they have these TV's on sale now. $60 bucks off. I kept wondering why they were on clearance because the sign said "New for 2021". Then it dawned on me, holy shit, it's almost 2022. 😩 I asked the very nice lady if I could get a price match refund. It had been 30 days and she said they only did that for 14 days. I laid on the ol' Bub charm and had her laughing and she finally said ok. So I got $60 bucks back plus I grabbed another one. They only had 2 left. These are incredible TV's for the price. We are putting the one I'm using now in our bedroom when I'm finished remodeling it and then I'll use the second one for a PC monitor.

It's a little sluggish when I use it as a monitor but I can live with it. I know it would be fine if I had an actual video card. Using Studio One is a pleasure on this huge screen at 4K. I was always ticked that I couldn't make the track screen expand enough to make a single track full screen but I discovered if you double click them and pull them up in the Editor, you can then make them full screen. 👍🏻

If it is slughish, it might be because of some of the TV's settings. Make sure all video enhancements are turned off. Things like 'true motion', 'noise reduction', etc are all off. This probably be already done if you choose the game picture mode, but double check. Also one important setting to select, if it is available for your picture mode, is 'just scan'. This one should be on so that the picture is not choped off all around.

19 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

If it is slughish, it might be because of some of the TV's settings. Make sure all video enhancements are turned off. Things like 'true motion', 'noise reduction', etc are all off. This probably be already done if you choose the game picture mode, but double check. Also one important setting to select, if it is available for your picture mode, is 'just scan'. This one should be on so that the picture is not choped off all around.

Thanks! The TV detects that it's connected to a PC and it automatically turns all of those settings off and locks them so I can't turn them on. It did allow me to go in and turn Gaming Mode on but it made no difference other than allow me to adjust the blue light eye strain settings. When I turned on Gaming Mode it said I was getting 30fps but I also don't have a video card. I'm using the CPU/HDMI port on my DAW. 

One thing that did help a lot is I started using a mouse pad. I have an optical mouse and normally just use it directly on my dark tabletop. I just tried a mousepad and it did help a lot so that was part of it. I'm really happy with the performance for my needs. I don't know how it would work as a true gaming monitor but I suspect it would be fine if I had a decent video card. 👍🏻 There is only a couple games I am interested in these days anyway and I don't have time to spend on them until the winter months when I can't go outside.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, craigb said:

I don't recommend using a TV as a gaming monitor, UNLESS you find one that's been specifically designed to have low latency.  You would also need a dedicated video card (unless the "game" you're playing is something like Sudoku! 😉 ).

Thanks! I'm in to the Fallout series from 3 on and Skyrim but that's it. I was told I can run them in 1080p HD at 60fps smooth as glass with a 1060 video card with 16Gb ram. Good luck finding one though. 😩I looked for months if you recall the thread and I never could find one, and when I did it was a scam. Took me weeks to get my money back from eBay.

I see they just remastered and re-released Quake. You can play it online again even on consoles. I don't even want to get sucked in to that scene again. It consumed my life way back in the day. Hah. It still doesn't look as good as GLQuake though if you remember that port. I made a custom bootable DVD a long time ago with all the editors, GLQuake, various scripts, and all the official add-on's with original CD soundtracks (compressed). Plus it had Quake II and all the official add-on's for it as well. You can play it from the disc or copy it to your drive and customize it more. It won't work on Windows 7 or 10 but it fires right up on XP. I can't bring myself to throw it out even though I don't have an XP machine any more.

1 hour ago, Shane_B. said:

I see they just remastered and re-released Quake

We all used to play that at work back in the day.....everyone had their pc screen angled so it wasn't visible from the entrance to wherever they sat and had something else work related also open ready for a ninja like alt+tab whenever the boss walked in.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Shane_B. said:

Thanks! I'm in to the Fallout series from 3 on and Skyrim but that's it. I was told I can run them in 1080p HD at 60fps smooth as glass with a 1060 video card with 16Gb ram. Good luck finding one though. 😩I looked for months if you recall the thread and I never could find one, and when I did it was a scam. Took me weeks to get my money back from eBay.

I see they just remastered and re-released Quake. You can play it online again even on consoles. I don't even want to get sucked in to that scene again. It consumed my life way back in the day. Hah. It still doesn't look as good as GLQuake though if you remember that port. I made a custom bootable DVD a long time ago with all the editors, GLQuake, various scripts, and all the official add-on's with original CD soundtracks (compressed). Plus it had Quake II and all the official add-on's for it as well. You can play it from the disc or copy it to your drive and customize it more. It won't work on Windows 7 or 10 but it fires right up on XP. I can't bring myself to throw it out even though I don't have an XP machine any more.

FWIW you can play the Quake games on a W10 machine, BUT, through the Steam platform. Doesn’t look good, imho.f

J

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

FWIW you can play the Quake games on a W10 machine, BUT, through the Steam platform. Doesn’t look good, imho

I still have my XP slipstream disc I made with my legit serial number embedded on it. It's really easy to install XP with one of those plus it has all the last official updates that I'm aware of. I'm tempted to make a gaming rig just for those few games and install XP but I never seem to find the time. Plus the insane cost of video cards now.

A lot of people are still playing these older Bethesda games online. There's a lot of Youtube and Twitch people modding them. Red Rocket TV on Twitch is really good. His graphics are excellent. He runs 100's of mods on F3, FNV, F4, and The Outer Worlds. I don't like TOW. I tried it once and it was too slow. It's made by Obsidian, the same company that did FNV for Bethesda and it was supposed to be like a FNV 2 but it was too linear imo.