How to listen with the select tool and insert chords

Kenny Jonsson

Question

Hi!

I haven't used Cakewalk since Pro Audio 7 a couple of decades ago, so I have forgotten many basics. I know that I used to use the select tool (at least I think it was the select tool) in staff view to listen to the project. Just left clicking somewhere in the score would "preview" just the notes present at that time and click and drag would preview in the tempo and direction I moved the mouse. How do I do that now?

I'm also curious about how to add chords in staff view or rather how to do it more efficiently. The method I currently use involves closing Cakewalk and opening the file in Musescore. I know I can click Chords > left click > right click > edit, but that's a pretty broken way of doing it 😃 Are there keyboard shortcuts for this that I haven't found? Like if I insert one chord with the mouse can I then step forward with the keyboard and insert the next somehow?

Ps. Not talking about the guitar chords, just inserting chord names (G7).

6 answers to this question

I think you mean the 'Scrub' tool. That will allow you to drag the cursor across a clip and hear it. Hit the J key on your computer keyboard and the cursor will change to a speaker icon and you can then scrub by click-dragging. Hit J again to turn it off.

I don't think you can enter just the chord letter. I just tried it and it always placed the chord diagram above the staff. You then would have to right-click that diagram to navigate to the chord you actually want (it defaults at 'C').
You can, however, use the Expression button and type in your chord letters, but they won't be above the staff but below it.

Edited by 57Gregy
added more info.
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, 57Gregy said:

I think you mean the 'Scrub' tool. That will allow you to drag the cursor across a clip and hear it. Hit the J key on your computer keyboard and the cursor will change to a speaker icon and you can then scrub by click-dragging. Hit J again to turn it off.

I don't think you can enter just the chord letter. I just tried it and it always placed the chord diagram above the staff. You then would have to right-click that diagram to navigate to the chord you actually want (it defaults at 'C').
You can, however, use the Expression button and type in your chord letters, but they won't be above the staff but below it.

Yes, that was the name 😃 Thank you! Weird that it's not  among the other tool.

I mentioned that I'm not looking for diagrams. It works fine inserting just names, but it's just too slow to use the mouse + keyboard.

23 hours ago, John Vere said:

The focus has been on improvements to the Piano Roll View and not much has advanced in the staff view. So most user work in the PRV. I’ve never used the Staff view but there sure is a lot of grumbling about it. 

That's too bad. Strange that so little attention is given to the language of music in a daw =(