VST Plugins Crashing Cakewalk

Marty88888

Hi there,

I am hoping someone can help me as I have hit a  particularly frustrating issue, something which has not been a problem in the past. Keep in mind I am not really technically minded and this is adding to the frustration. I have recently downloaded two plugin's and installed them to the correct directories, both plugins seem to be in the right place but when I try to add them to the Channel "effects" area the computer shows a blue circle and then Cakewalk just disappears, I have tried to uninstall and re-install the software to no end.  The plugins are (HoRNet VUMETER MK4 4.2.0) and (TB ProAudio MvMeter 2). If any one can steer me in the right direction I will be extremely grateful .Thank you.

Cheers

Marty

Just download and installed TB ProAudio MvMeter 2.

Tested both VST2 and VST3 formats dropping the plug-ins in a track FX rack and ProChannel in CbB 2021.09 build 145 on Win10 Pro  21H1 build  19043.1237 .

Both formats worked OK.

If there is no dump in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps try setting ExceptionHandlingSeverity to 7. For info about this setting see the Improved plug-in exception handling / crash reporting section of http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=NewFeatures.023.html

This feature was adding in CbB 2021.04.

Compress and forward the dump to support@cakewalk.com

For more info about handling crashes see

• Like 1

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I tried all you suggested with no luck.

Changed the ExceptionHandlingSeverity setting to 7.

Reinstalled the software.

There is no "dumps" I can find. Looked in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps and %appdata%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps\Plugins. No dump record left.

Still when I drag and drop the plugins into the effects channel of an audio track or the pro channel Cakewalk just shuts down with no Error message. I can still add the plugins I have already got and can still use the program but beats me why this is happening. Very frustrating especially when you shell out some money for a plugin.

Is there any other way I can capture the dump so I can forward it to support@cakewalk.com

Cheers

Marty

You might take a look at this small free utility AppCrashView. It sometimes catches Cakewalk crashes for me. Look under "Fault Module Name" for the potential cause of the crash. For instance, if the TTS-1 plugin causes Cakewalk to crash, it is usually listed there.

displays the details of all application crashes occurred in your system. The crashes information is extracted from the .wer files created by the Windows Error Reporting (WER) component of the operating system every time that a crash is occurred. AppCrashView also allows you to easily save the crashes list to text/csv/html/xml file.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

*For now, this utility only works on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows 8, and Windows 10. simply because the earlier versions of Windows don't save the crash information into .wer files.

Edited by abacab

Thank you for your suggestion abacab...I tried your suggestion and used AppCrashView but still no luck...The crash was not captured. This is doing my head in...Any way I do appreciate your assistance...I'll keep plugging away (pun intended)...frustrating as hell this is!!!  

You may need to check this:  Windows Error Reporting (WER) can be configured so that full user-mode dumps are collected and stored locally after a user-mode application crashes.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/wer/collecting-user-mode-dumps

A crash dump is not collected when you set automatic debugging for application crashes.

After an application crashes and prior to its termination, the system will check the registry settings to determine whether a local dump is to be collected. After the dump collection has completed, the application will be allowed to terminate normally. If the application supports recovery, the local dump is collected before the recovery callback is called.

These dumps are configured and controlled independently of the rest of the WER infrastructure. You can make use of the local dump collection even if WER is disabled or if the user cancels WER reporting. The local dump can be different than the dump sent to Microsoft.

Edited by abacab