Pitch bend to 1 Octave Launchpad

David Andersen

Hi all,

This one is doing my head in. I have a Novation Launchkey Mini MK3 25key.

I am sequencing the beginning to Lonely Boy (Black Keys) where the guitar drops an Octave. I can't seem to work out if I can adjust the Launchkey to an Octave (currently seems to be only a few semitones) or if I have to make an adjustment in cakewalk.

Appreciate your input.

5 hours ago, David Andersen said:

Hi all,

This one is doing my head in. I have a Novation Launchkey Mini MK3 25key.

I am sequencing the beginning to Lonely Boy (Black Keys) where the guitar drops an Octave. I can't seem to work out if I can adjust the Launchkey to an Octave (currently seems to be only a few semitones) or if I have to make an adjustment in cakewalk.

Appreciate your input.

That function would depend on the VSTi that you are using? 

many VSTis let you have a user defined pitch bend range as a synth parameter.

Which VSTi are you using?

As Promidi points out, the controller just spits out a standard range of values and it's up to the virtual instrument to decide what to do with them.

Most sample-based guitar libraries limit the pitch bend range to a few semitones because beyond that it starts to sound weird. That's just a limitation of how pitch mod works on sampled material. Synthesizers, OTOH, have no such restriction and usually let you define the pitch bend range to almost anything you want.

Two possible solutions for you. Get a sample library where slides are baked into the samples. Indiginus, for example, has some guitars that can do a one-octave slide. The other solution is to use a synth that can sound more or less like a guitar. Sometimes, substituting a synth works surprisingly well, not because anybody's going to buy it as a guitar but because it puts a personal spin on your interpretation of the song.

• Like 2