Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Rodes NT1 Advice

Grem

I have someone who is trying to record vocals with this combo Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Rodes NT1 (into a Mac with Logic). 

They keep getting muffled vocals, like someone has a lite weight blanket draped over the mic.

I haven't never used any of these  products. I am just seeking anyone's experience with a Scallet or a Rodes mic if there are any little quirks that I don't know of.

Checked the specs of both the Scarlett and the mic to see if there is a mismatch, but I am not seeing anything that would help me. 

I have an NT1-A, too. It's actually a fairly bright mic. But back when I first got it (it was my first condenser) I did in fact accidentally record into the back side of it more than once because looking at it, it isn't obvious which side's which. So I got into the habit of singing into one side and then the other as a test, to make sure I had it the right way around.

Another thing about the NT1-A is that it has a strong proximity effect and it's easy to overload it with plosives. It's a mic that likes to keep its distance, so you'll probably get better results by simply backing away from the mic a bit. Assuming, of course, that your room sounds OK and you have a little acoustical absorption in place. If the room sounds bad, standing further from the mic won't be an option.

I, too, use a Focusrite interface. Not the same one you have (it's the Firewire version of Byron's 18i20) but with the same type preamps. They're pretty transparent and work well with the NT1-A. Their only limitation is they lack sufficient gain to do well with ribbons, but condensers like the Rode put out plenty of signal.

• Like 1

Good point. I had to check its specs because I couldn't believe such a relatively expensive (for a 2-input interface) device didn't include a jack for an external power source. It doesn't. 

You can also run into issues with inadequate current if you use a USB breakout box. For example, my keyboard has two very handy USB ports built into it. But I cannot plug in a second device if either my external backup drive or a DVD are already plugged in. Not enough current.

There are also some mics that require quite a lot of current to operate correctly (e.g. Earthworks) that simply wouldn't be compatible with a USB-powered interface. I'm a fan of Focusrite, but I would not want this one.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 3:19 PM, Grem said:

I have someone who is trying to record vocals with this combo Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Rodes NT1 (into a Mac with Logic). 

They keep getting muffled vocals, like someone has a lite weight blanket draped over the mic.

I haven't never used any of these  products. I am just seeking anyone's experience with a Scallet or a Rodes mic if there are any little quirks that I don't know of.

Checked the specs of both the Scarlett and the mic to see if there is a mismatch, but I am not seeing anything that would help me. 

Hum, I may not be of much help, but in any case: I have a Rodes NT1 and a Scarlett 2i4, and they work well together. I have a PC running Windows.

• Like 1

@msmcleodnever thought about singing into the wrong side. Thanks for that info. I just took it that it would be obvious,  but with bitflippers story... got me wondering for sure.

@bitflipper   Also excellent point about the USB power not being sufficient. I checked to make sure it was (and it is) USB 2.0 compliant,  but didn't think about the power required by the mic. That is a point to check into. Again, I took it for granted that it would supply the needed power. 

I thank everyone for the responses.

This person I am helping has health issues that would not be good if they caught Covid. So I cannot go there and look at the situation,  we are doing it over text and cell phone. 

Again, I greatly appreciate all the input from everyone.  It all helps.

I will update when I get more info.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I have the Rode NT 1 in my studio and have hooked it up to my UA Apollo. And I can confidently rule out it's not the mic. In fact I may end up getting one of these if I come across a good deal.

Next question I have is to the Scarlett users. I also have the Scarlett AI in my studio. I want to try it out and make sure it's not having any issues. What I want to know is do I need to register this AI before I can use it? Or can I just install the drivers and test it out that way?

Also, if there are any Mac users that also have a Scarlett, how do you hook the Scarlett to the Mac? This person has an adapter of some sort that allows them to plug the USB Scarlett into the Mac. (Mac's don't have USB?) I am starting to think this adapter is the problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Update: It ended up being a USB hub that she was using. I got her to get a good UBS cable that would then go directly into the Mac, and not use the hub. Works like a charm!

Thanks for all the help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Good shootin'. I'd guess it wasn't supplying enough juice for the 2i2 to provide proper phantom power to the mic.

That's what I was thinking too. When Bit and Marc said something about not enough power may cause the problem, and I found out (much later) that she was using a USB hub that she had laying around.... So I got her to get a good USB to TB cord and bypass that hub and she is happy now!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2021 at 10:36 AM, Grem said:

Next question I have is to the Scarlett users. I also have the Scarlett AI in my studio. I want to try it out and make sure it's not having any issues. What I want to know is do I need to register this AI before I can use it? Or can I just install the drivers and test it out that way?

Also, if there are any Mac users that also have a Scarlett, how do you hook the Scarlett to the Mac? This person has an adapter of some sort that allows them to plug the USB Scarlett into the Mac. (Mac's don't have USB?)

I know you already sorted this, but for the sake of lurkers, no, you shouldn't need to register any audio interface before using it. Download whatever drivers from their website and go. And Macs do have USB, so that Scarlett could be plugged straight into her computer, which is the way I would do it. Since the 2i2 is "class compliant," you can plug it into either a Windows or a Mac system and it will work without special drivers, but of course you always want to use Focusrite's ASIO for production work. I always plug audio interfaces straight into the computer if at all possible, and if at all possible, not even have them share the internal bus.

• Like 1

I know you already sorted this, but for the sake of lurkers, no, you shouldn't need to register any audio interface before using it.

Yes, Starship, I should have stated this (as I found out) that it's exactly like you say. D/L drivers from the Focusrite website (no registration required), install and use.

I always plug audio interfaces straight into the computer if at all possible, and if at all possible

This was the solution. Using a good cable, not some USB cable out of the junk drawer.  

Edited by Grem
  • Great Idea 1