You Have 0 Seconds | Christian Spitfire Insanity

Simeon Amburgey

13 hours ago, Paul Young said:

My issue is with drive space.  Any library will now cost an extra $100-$200.

I had already upgraded my Kontakt drive to a 2TB but the IK GB forced me into upgrading my non-Kontakt drive to 2TB already.  Viscous circle!!

10 hours ago, Pseudopop said:

Soo... I guess BBC Core is currently the best orchestral library you can get for €200, if you are not scoring film music? I have Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra and Kirk Hunter's Virtuoso Ensembles and they have worked fine for my purposes, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to a more realistic sound, if that is what this will get me.

I also definitely don't mind eating nothing but noodles for a month.

Yup, it's noodle time. Downloading Core now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pseudopop said:

Soo... I guess BBC Core is currently the best orchestral library you can get for €200, if you are not scoring film music? I have Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra and Kirk Hunter's Virtuoso Ensembles and they have worked fine for my purposes, but I wouldn't mind upgrading to a more realistic sound, if that is what this will get me.

I also definitely don't mind eating nothing but noodles for a month.

Just be aware that Spitfire has its own BBCSO player and is not Kontakt compatible. I have Amadeus as well, which is a decent orchestral sketching library that does run in Kontakt.

But to use BBCSO in a DAW,  you will be using a separate instance of the player for each track, as the player is not multi-timbral. But Spitfire has made this easy for a few DAWs, as they have pre-made orchestral templates for this purpose. There are currently supporting templates for Logic Pro X, GarageBand, Ableton Live, Protools, and Cubase. >>> https://www.spitfireaudiothepage.com/templates

• Like 2

The BBCSO Core templates are here. There are additional templates from contributors for Studio One, Reaper, Bitwig, and Dorico.

https://www.spitfireaudiothepage.com/posts/core-templates

I just loaded up the one for Studio One successfully, "Spitfire BBC Symphony Orchestra Core Template for Studio One v 4.6 Professional.song".

Edit: There appears to be about 100 instrument tracks in here, each with instances of Spitfire Player, and in addition there are quite a few FX and Stem tracks.

Impressive, but now I'm thinking about filling my two empty RAM slots with another 16GB. 🤪

Edited by abacab

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Talk about bad timing...this one is killing me!  Finally BBCO is 50% off, which I've been
waiting for forever, and I can't buy it...GRRR!  Family first hurts sometimes!

I too am very reluctantly avoiding this due to budgetary constraints. But I read that BBCO uses up to 13GB of RAM to run. I've only got 16GB of RAM in my machine so it helped me make the decision to hold off rather than buy something I don't have the specs to adequately run. 

• Great Idea 1

47 minutes ago, abacab said:

Just be aware that Spitfire has its own BBCSO player and is not Kontakt compatible. I have Amadeus as well, which is a decent orchestral sketching library that does run in Kontakt.

I understand that Kontakt incompatibility is a downside, but why is using their own player a bad thing?

48 minutes ago, abacab said:

But to use BBCSO in a DAW,  you will be using a separate instance of the player for each track, as the player is not multi-timbral. But Spitfire has made this easy for a few DAWs, as they have pre-made orchestral templates for this purpose. There are currently supporting templates for Logic Pro X, GarageBand, Ableton Live, Protools, and Cubase. >>> https://www.spitfireaudiothepage.com/templates

So far I've been using separate instances of Kontakt for each track without problems. I find it easier and more flexible than routing everything through a single instance.

Also, the orchestrations I do are very small. There are not going to be dozens of tracks with BBSCO on them, so I don't think it's going to be a problem for me personally.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, abacab said:

Just be aware that Spitfire has its own BBCSO player and is not Kontakt compatible. 

I second this - as much as I love Spitfire's sound, their players do not always play well with Cakewalk.  I've been using BBC Discovery, OPW, Firewood and Intimate Strings for a while, but it's hit and miss on whether the players will crash my session or not.

It might work better in another DAW.

57 minutes ago, Craig N said:

I too am very reluctantly avoiding this due to budgetary constraints. But I read that BBCO uses up to 13GB of RAM to run. I've only got 16GB of RAM in my machine so it helped me make the decision to hold off rather than buy something I don't have the specs to adequately run. 

The full Studio One template for BBCSO Core running in Studio One 5.4 here is using up about 12GB RAM. I only have 16GB, so if you plan to work with a full orchestra template you may want to have 32GB available.

But the author of this template also provided a "slim" template, with smaller sections.

For those that just want a test ride, there is also BBCSO Discover, which can be had for free. But not in time to make the cutoff on the 50% deal, as there is a 2 week wait for the free license. >>> https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-discover/

BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover out of your budget?

Log in (or create a new account), fill out our questionnaire, and we'll send you a FREE download after 14 days. Alternatively, you can buy and download now.

Discover has a much smaller sample footprint, templates for Garageband, Logic, and ProTools, as well as additional contributed templates for Ableton Live, Cubase, Studio One, Reaper, Bitwig, Dorico, and FL Studio.

Edited by abacab

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Talk about bad timing...this one is killing me!  Finally BBCO is 50% off, which I've been
waiting for forever, and I can't buy it...GRRR!  Family first hurts sometimes!

Go to the bank and ask them to mortgage your house so you can feed your family through music. Family first!

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Pseudopop said:

I understand that Kontakt incompatibility is a downside, but why is using their own player a bad thing?

I never said it was a bad thing. In fact, I think using a template with per track player instances is an improvement over cumbersome multi-timbral arrangements.

I was just pointing out that this was not a Kontakt instrument, to anyone who had expectations that it might be. Especially in light of the comment about Amadeus Symphony Orchestra, which is.

Edited by abacab

36 minutes ago, abacab said:

I never said it was a bad thing. In fact, I think using a template with per track player instances is an improvement over cumbersome multi-timbral arrangements.

I was just pointing out that this was not a Kontakt instrument, to anyone who had expectations that it might be. Especially in light of the comment about Amadeus Symphony Orchestra, which is.

Ah, ok. I often see people complaining about samplers that are not Kontakt, so I mistook what you said as criticism. Glad to hear that Spitfire's player doesn't give cause for complain in this case.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

The full Studio One template for BBCSO Core running in Studio One 5.4 here is using up about 12GB RAM. I only have 16GB, so if you plan to work with a full orchestra template you may want to have 32GB available.

But the author of this template also provided a "slim" template, with smaller sections.

I also hesitated because of the resource pull. Does anyone on the forum have experience of using the Eric Whitacre voices with only 16GB of RAM. I know it is a 160GB download, which is another issue, but I don't want to invest only to find it a problem on my machine (Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz  with 16GB RAM)

11 minutes ago, Pseudopop said:

Ah, ok. I often see people complaining about samplers that are not Kontakt, so I mistook what you said as criticism. Glad to hear that Spitfire's player doesn't give cause for complain in this case.

Ahh, but I cannot speak for Cakewalk in regards to the Spitfire player. There has not been a template made for it yet that I am aware of.

@Philip G Huntmentioned a few posts back that he had some issues with CbB and the Spitfire Player.