Aim Assist Line Position Indicator enhancement (let me turn it off)

Starship Krupa

I love the Aim Assist Line, in the absence of marker tails/vertical rulers, it is one of the tools I always have switched on to help me line things up, see where my clicks are going to land when I have snap enabled.

My enhancement request is for the position readout part of it, and the most basic enhancement would just be the ability to turn it off.

I wouldn't mind it, might even find it useful if it didn't obscure the timeline ruler numbers, thereby rendering it worse than useless to me by making it so that I can never be sure exactly where the Aim Assist Line really is.

Because the numbers in the Aim Assist Line readout are so tiny, and their size fixed, I have never been able to read them very well, especially when they are crowded in amongst other ruler elements. Because the numbers go all the way out to the very last tiniest measurement, the digits cover up the digits on the timeline ruler that I would normally rely on. So what I wind up with is "indecipherable blob obscuring my timeline ruler numbers."

Even when I tried adding rulers to try to get the thing into clear air, it just popped up yet another display, right on top of the other rulers' digits.

I've tried different colors, but as long as the line is legible in the Track view, the readout will obscure my ruler digits.

It might be nice to be able to change the size of its numbers, but what I really want is the ability to make it stop, go away, leave me in peace. Either that or let me position it above the digits, in that grey empty space where only the playhead ever goes. Its numbers, if allowed to float up there in uncluttered space, might become legible to me.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

That is correct, "X" toggles aim assist on and off with standard keyboard shortcuts.

I think Starship wants to leave the line there but remove the information box at the top of the aim assist line, to have the option to do so. I don't think it is possible to do that at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2019 at 3:29 AM, Tezza said:

Starship wants to leave the line there but remove the information box at the top of the aim assist line, to have the option to do so.

Yes, thanks, that's what I want. The information box obscures the information I most want to see when I'm using it. It's too minute for me to read, and it covers up the numbers on the Timeline Ruler.

I already know how to turn the Aim Assist line on and off. I want it there, but not obscuring the Ruler numbers.

(I guess I need to watch the tl in my posts)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/2/2019 at 3:29 AM, Tezza said:

Starship wants to leave the line there but remove the information box at the top of the aim assist line, to have the option to do so

Yes, Tezza, this precisely. Love the Aim Assist Line, do not love the way the info box sits atop the Ruler numbers.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 12:31 AM, Sailor55 said:

I support this idea very strongly. The aim assist line is great, but the aim assist info box is very frustrating, the way it obscures the timeline tick marks.

The crazy thing is there is some dead space immediately below where it is that could accommodate it without obscuring anything

Edited by CosmicDolphin
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

While on the subject of aim assist, I'd like an option for moving audio clips:

When I have the aim assist on and start moving an audio clip, it would be nice to (optionally) have the aim line stay at the location where I click the clip when I start dragging it (a zero crossing, peak etc.). Now the aim line moves to the start of the clip, which doesn't alwayshelp much.

Say, if you're aligning two clips to be exactly in phase, you first have to drag a clip and then check with aim assist if the two are now ok relative to each other. If the aim assist would remain in the position I want to align to, this would be a bit easier.

• 4 months later...

I support this enhancement request as well. Ideally an enhancement to re-position the Aim Assist time 'bubble' would resolve this as currently it obscures the time ruler numbers when dragging/copying clips. If this isn't possible then the option to just turn the 'bubble' off, but retain the vertical Aim Assist line.

• Like 1

What would be really nice would be to enable letting the user grab and hold the aim assist position marker to "slide" and reposition the position marker wherever the user desires on the aim assist line.  That way the aim assist position marker can be positioned within the user's direct line of sight and moved as the user's attention shifts.

• Like 1

Or as @CosmicDolphin and I pointed out, there is unused grey space where it could live in happiness without covering up the Ruler. I see no reason (other than of course coding issues unknowable to me) why it couldn't be relocated into that otherwise empty space. If it were, I might be able to read it. As it is now, I can't even read it because it's both tiny and hovering over other numbers and tick marks.

@msmcleod, now that you are an official dev, d'you think there's any chance of this happening? We loves our Aim Assist Line, but Helpy The Number Bubble just seems to get in the way.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 2:43 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Or as @CosmicDolphin and I pointed out, there is unused grey space where it could live in happiness without covering up the Ruler. I see no reason (other than of course coding issues unknowable to me) why it couldn't be relocated into that otherwise empty space. If it were, I might be able to read it. As it is now, I can't even read it because it's both tiny and hovering over other numbers and tick marks.

@msmcleod, now that you are an official dev, d'you think there's any chance of this happening? We loves our Aim Assist Line, but Helpy The Number Bubble just seems to get in the way.

You can now turn the aim assist time position text off:  

The default key binding is ALT +X.   So X to show hide/Aim Assist,  ALT+ X to show/hide the time position text.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2