Sign in to follow this  
Michael Vogel

Virtual Machines

My Music PC (Win 10 Pro Latest version) has 6 HDD 1 x  M.2 NvME and 2 SSD. I want to setup a Virtual Machine to run Home Assistant as a trial along with some other home automation programs.. Will all the programs setup to be running on the VM continue to run when I switch back to Win 10 Pro side of things.

Assume the PC will be on 24/7.

Suggestions/advice welcome. Thanks in advance of being overwhelmed by positive and useful responses.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:47 PM, Michael Vogel said:

Will all the programs setup to be running on the VM continue to run when I switch back to Win 10 Pro side of things.

Yes assuming you don't have the VMs going to sleep or similar (I have one program - game! - that stops when it loses mouse focus, but yours are designed to run without user intervention so I can't see this being an issue).

I'd be more "concerned" about whether the VM can access any physical hardware it needs to - that can be tricky sometimes.

On 10/18/2021 at 11:47 PM, Kevin Perry said:

Yes assuming you don't have the VMs going to sleep or similar (I have one program - game! - that stops when it loses mouse focus, but yours are designed to run without user intervention so I can't see this being an issue).

I'd be more "concerned" about whether the VM can access any physical hardware it needs to - that can be tricky sometimes.

Thanks Kevin for helpful info. I’ve never run a VM so know nothing of the vagaries involved. 

Thanks Jack, Clearly there’s more suitable places than here for  in-depth information , however I saw it as a simple Yes or no type answer.  
Also it was just convenient to ask as I was on the forum here, saw the Computer section and noted that the rules for posting here didn’t expressly forbid such a question even though not music or Cakewalk related.  

• Like 1