Howto hear Sonar while other Windows app has focus?

bt

Sonar is silenced when another Windows app is switched to, unless it's playing back a recording.
But I'd like to be able to play keyboard and guitars setup in it without keeping it topmost on the desktop, like while watching youtube or something or just reading the news.

Sometimes it seems to allow this on first loadup, but stops after a single playback, so I suspect it's *possible*.

I'm using ASIO and have ShareDriversWithOtherPrograms checked.

The settings in Audio preferences are slightly different between Sonar and Cakewalk BD.  I seem to recall that ShareDriversWithOtherPrograms  has the opposite effect than what you might have expected. I would try unchecking that option.  You should also make sure that sample rate is consistent between Sonar/Cakewalk and windows.

Any particular reason for using Sonar rather than Cakewalk Bandlab ?    

• Like 1

Very few Windows programs use ASIO drivers. 

Even those capable of using ASIO driver do not necessarily need to use it. 

Programs that only play audio do not need to use an ASIO driver.

Whether multiple programs can use the ASIO driver at the time depends on the driver.

That said, the preference Share Drivers With Other Programs is well documented. This link is from SONAR X3. 

The same process was renamed in the last version of SONAR and CbB still refers to it as Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not in Focus

The new name better describes what the process actually does.

In order to hear the DAW when another program has focus, disable Share Drivers With Other Programs.

For me this issue was resolved with my new interface which has the loop back feature. I think the reason is they designed the ASIO driver to specifically allow windows apps to share.
They advertise this as such so you can record a YouTube audio output directly to your Daw. 

But the sample rate has to match. 

I seem to recall that ShareDriversWithOtherPrograms  has the opposite effect than what you might have expected. I would try unchecking that option.  

LOL, that worked :)

BTW: I'm still using Sonar Platinum instead of updating (?) to BandLab;  even when updating commercial versions of Sonar, the new bugs outweighed the new 'features' and redesigns.  I'm wary of switching to free software from a (likely) completely new team of developers. 

Should I take the plunge?

BandLab Technologies has two DAWs

• BandLab - a web-base application
  • Cakewalk by BandLab - a Windows program based on SONAR Platinum

There is little risk to trying CbB.

It installs as an upgrade to SONAR.

IOW, the DAW installs in a separate folder with the shared folders updated to support both SONAR and CbB.

Even if you decide not to use CbB, SONAR will benefit from bug fixes and enhancements to the shared folders.

CbB can use all the content included with 64bit SONAR.

BandLab Technologies did not start with a new team of developers, they hired a small group of Cakewalk staff including @Noel Borthwick  the Cakewalk CTO to develop, maintain and support CbB.

Since then they have added a few new people to the team.

• Like 3

I wrestled with problem havin no sounds in windows, when CbB was active.  The solution was to put the loopback switch  on in the interface (like  John Vere referred), and in CW preferences check the "Suspend  Audio Engine when Cakewalk is not in focus".

Earlier I had Steinberg UR22 Mk II with no loopback knob. The loopback was executable in the driver software.

Btw, in recording the loopback must be off if you don't want everything  what you hear to the track.

10 minutes ago, Eki said:

I wrestled with problem havin no sounds in windows, when CbB was active.  The solution was to put the loopback switch  on in the interface (like  John Vere referred), and in CW preferences check the "Suspend  Audio Engine when Cakewalk is not in focus".

Earlier I had Steinberg UR22 Mk II with no loopback knob. The loopback was executable in the driver software.

Btw, in recording the loopback must be off if you don't want everything  what you hear to the track.

It's pretty interface and driver specific.

Some interfaces have multi-client ASIO drivers although most Windows apps do not use ASIO and those that can often do not really need it.

While my RME can loopback, I never have to mess with it when playing audio any number of program while the DAW is running.