Can hear DI signal under VST amp sim in obs recording

When using amp sims through cakewalk w/ direct monitoring turned off on my gen 3 scarlett solo and input echo (cakewalk audio track) turned on the Guitar's singal works great. I can throw any sim at it, stack them, add pedals, effects, etc and the dry di guitar signal doesnt come through. Even recording a track directly onto the daw, no di singal to be found. However, if i try recording the signal that I'm hearing through my headphones/monitors in the DAW through obs (or streaming) the VST's come through fine, but the dry di clean guitar is heard underneath. I can't hear this through my headphones, it only shows up in the video that is recorded. I'm stumped and have researched this until my eyes hurt. Direct monitoring is off on the interface. I obviously need input echo on to hear what im playing in the DAW but by any chance is that whats throwing the clean guitar underneath the VST in my videos? If so is there another way to hear myself while recording, or am I missing something entirely? 

You might want to study the signal flow diagram. Audio is 100% controlled by your interface. 
That audio goes directly to the track exactly as it was input. Nothing in the DAW is printed to “tape”. 
Using input echo will give you a way to monitor what you will hear on playback of the new track. It sends the input through the tracks effects and then to any busses and back out to be combined with the other tracks. But this is a delayed signal compared to the all ready recorded material. This is not what was recorded.

We use the direct monitoring feature of the interface so you can play in sync with the other tracks. Otherwise your hearing your systems latency as a variable amount of delay. This might cause timing issues.  

Audio interfaces with Loopback channels allow you to use Stand alone Apps like sims and record the Wet single directly. If you’re a amp sims user you would benefit from using an interface with loop back as this is what you’re trying to do. Print effect to tape. You can’t do this with a basic interface like a solo. Well you could, but you would need a small mixer etc. 

Edited by John Vere

Sorry li totally missed the fact the Recording you mentioned is to OBS and not Cakewalk. 
What have you selected as the audio input for OBS?  Are you using WASAPI shared mode?  
Getting sound from Cakewalk to an app like OBS is tricky. Once again the solution for me was the loop back channel. Generally OBS records the output of your interface so what’s happening there will happen in the video audio track. 
You could try turning the tracks fader down. 

Edited by John Vere