Behold the Miracle/Videte Miraculum, A Thomas Tallis transcription

Bert Guy

I love the music of Thomas Tallis. His oeuvre is mostly a cappella choral compositions, but there are some instrumental transcriptions out there that I think demonstrate how much great absolute music there is in the many choral masterpieces he composed in the 16th century.   This composition, to my ears, is the most drop dead gorgeous choral work I have heard.

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14326935

Edited by Bert Guy
  • Like 1

This will put the psalt in your zither.

Very very cool to transcribe and reimagine this! Nice job indeed.  I've not heard the original but I dig the composition and I can tell you have lovingly brought a new life to it. Nice!

A mix idea maybe, the string plucks that sound a bit like an autoharp? have a very percussive attack, and that attack is very up front in the mix. Overall the reverb is trying to sit all things in the cathedral setting, but the guy playing lead strings is picking them right next to you and the bright attack doesn't mesh with the cathedral reverb. ? Is that even a problem? Maybe not!

I have no idea what you could do about that, if anything. You wouldn't want to dull it up. As it is, it's like you've got one mic up close on the altar, and another 100 ft away in the last pew of the nave.  I don't think many people are going to care at all, it's a great piece and well brought to life.

see you in church!

cheers,

-Tom

On 10/16/2021 at 12:16 AM, David Sprouse said:

My ear has never gotten used to the sound of male sopranos and consequently, it's nice to hear it parsed out to  different instruments.  The rhythms of the counterpoint are  beautifully interwoven.

David,

It amazes me how tuneful the counterpoint parts are in this Tallis piece and how they weave together. Heavenly concinnity.

Thanks for listening.

Bert 

On 10/16/2021 at 1:35 PM, jack c. said:

is there distortion on keyboards?nice job.jack c.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:53 PM, jwnicholson78 said:

Very nice.   I have never heard of Thomas Tallus.  Thanks for sharing.   I'll have to learn more about him. 

Jack,  good ears, there , warm Rhodes distortion for sure.

JWN,  Tallis is one of the greats as far as I am concerned.  Here is a favorite transcription  :  

Cheers,

Bert

On 10/23/2021 at 4:47 AM, Jesse Screed said:

Bert, I certainly wasn't expecting that.  Very nice work. I fancy choral music in the late fall and winter.  I will have to look into this Tallis.  What instruments did you use for this? Thank you

Jesse, 

Always good to hear from you. 

The virtual instruments employed are  Real Guitar steel guitar, MODO Hoffner bass, and WAVES Electric 200 piano.

A good place start wifh Tallis is this Tallis Scholars' collection https://www.amazon.com/Tallis-Scholars-Sing-Thomas/dp/B00026W65E/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=tallis+scholars+tallis&qid=1636325700&sr=8-5

And there is metric ton of Thomas Tallis on YouTube.

Cheers.

Bert 

'

Just lovely, I havent heard this type music in a long while and is nice to hear.  As Tom said I think the peaks at times are a little uneven in the midst of the reverby-ness, but thats just a taste thing. Personally I would like to behold a miracle or two ! thanks for the reminder.  I was jolted back to 2021 when Solitary Man followed ha