Tell That Story Twice

abw1101b

Hi everyone, I've listened to music here for a long time but this is my first time posting a mix. This was with Cakewalk and all stock plugins. Many of the songs on this forum seem totally professional so it seems like a good place to learn. Thanks!

Special thanks to my buddy Rob for help with the solos. https://www.facebook.com/PhoridFlyStudios/

Edited by abw1101b
fix url
  • Like 2

Very cool, jazzy tune; I like it. Nice key modulation about half way through too.

The mix is good. I might suggest bringing the cymbals up a little. Also, I can occasionally hear some subtle compression pumping artefacts. There are no rules about mixing, but as this is a jazzy tune possibly try easing up a little on the compression ratio and letting the mix breathe a bit more naturally.

On 10/15/2021 at 6:09 PM, abw1101b said:

Hi everyone, I've listened to music here for a long time but this is my first time posting a mix. This was with Cakewalk and all stock plugins. Many of the songs on this forum seem totally professional so it seems like a good place to learn. Thanks!

Special thanks to my buddy Rob for help with the solos. https://www.facebook.com/PhoridFlyStudios/

Hi abw1101b....like the arrangement, chord changes and overall feel (reminds me of steely dan, an all time favorite)....the mix, audio production and, of course, the drums (the usual culprit) need more polish/work (is there a difference????....i don't think so....)....you're on the right track (pun intended) 🎶🎹🎧🎷 

Snappy little swing number! Very good chops with the guitars! A lot of quality jazz ideas here, and the parts are structured well to make a composition that doesn't get boring.

Timing wise, one idea is to look at the 2:20's region. The hi-hat is clearly a swing pattern, but the guitar rhythm chords are played more or less straight. I think those rhythm guitar chords would be very difficult to play in a swing pattern at this tempo, if you were going to make them match. 

A more nitpicky timing thing would be the stops, check out :40, the snare and bass aren't in sync. If you want a more natural live feel, than that should pass so no problem.

Most important is the "fun" of the tune and that's all there. I'd be interested to hear how you develop this one, some good suggestions can be found here - welcome to the forum!!!

cheers,

-Tom