midi light in system tray but no activity in midi track?? SOLVED

newdreamstudio

Stylus RMX midi issue:

Hi !

My issue: I use an Arturia minilab mkII unit (pads and keys)

I've had an Stylus RMX template (.ctl_rmx ) for that for a year or two, has worked fine (using the minilab pads for RMX parts)....

But now:         I can open RMX standalone, choose a multi, load the template, everything works FINE with the Arturia and the standalone RMX.

But if I close that, then open Cakewalk by Bandlab, new project, insert Stylus, load the same multi, load the template:   I get nothing, even on Arturia Omni setting.

Interestingly the midi activity light in the system tray blinks when I strike a pad on the Arturia but the midi track (echo on) in Cakewalk shows No midi input when I strike a pad...

There are no Control Surface conflicts...

In midi-OX all looks fine with the minilab cc outs

??

Rusty Kirkland

Edited by newdreamstudio

image.png.a95dc5b735392d7e631d717c64e68bac.png

If the input and outputs are set to your midi device then you will see the meter jump but not be able to trigger your synth. The data will only be used to drive your controller. 

It's kinda a confusing thing. I do this a lot and it confused me for a long time b/c I sometimes add and remove controllers then don't understand why midi ports don't work.

I think setting the ports to none (as seen in the screenshot) make it so that you can use the inputs for synths or other things.

Then if you plug in your device, you can map your inputs for your controller to this. It used to be (a while back) that it would auto default to your midi input and output to save you the trouble of setting it. This works fine unless sometimes that isn't the input for your controller.

Cool?

Edited by Gswitz

Might not be your problem. It's just the only thing I've had happen that causes the symptoms you describe. It isn't resolved be detaching the midi input and re-attaching. You have to figure out to remove the mapping here in preferences.

It was a complicated thing I've talked to Noel about. I think he was trying to think of ways to make it work intuitively but also not hose you up....

I personally think a message at the time you map the midi input to a track that is also mapped to a controller that says 'this isn't going to do what you expect and here's why...'.

Then users who want to fix it can just unmap the midi controller.

Now if your case is some other thing I haven't bumped into ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ... don't know how to help with that.

Lots of us have midi controllers we sometimes use. Noel wants it so that when you plug it in, it just works and doesn't have to be remapped all the time.  This makes sense, but you don't want the input to randomly take a midi input that doesn't go to the controller.

Edited by Gswitz

after uninstalling/reinstalling CbB (wish I hadn't done that!)  the problem persisted...

so with some googling this morning and seeing that this issue has shown up in the forum several times, 

I tried 2 things that were recommended:

1)  unselected my Arturia kybd in preferences/midi devices, closed CbB, re-opened CbB and re-selected it....   didn't seem to work..

2) with no project open I went into preferences and changed the midi 'driver' to UWP....

BINGO!     and Yay

• Like 1