MIDI does not sound

IMA

Hello.

I have a problem. Suddenly, I am not able to listen to midi projects. I have just installed a mini piano to record, and from this moment, I can not hear midi. Can anybody help me? 

Thank you in advance

49 minutes ago, IMA said:

I have a problem. Suddenly, I am not able to listen to midi projects. I have just installed a mini piano to record, and from this moment, I can not hear midi.

• Are your midi tracks properly pointing to [aka routed to] a sound producing device (such as a hardware or software synth)?
  • Is your mini piano hardware connected to your PC that you use to record midi note data in a DAW such as Cakewalk and then play back on the hardware from the DAW?

I am assuming you know that midi data is not audio and generally does not make sound until you send it to sound producing device.  But maybe not. 

Edited by User 905133
more details added re audio/sound and MIDI

Thank you for your answer.

Yes, I know midi is not audio. I am not good at this, but I know it. The fact is that, till yestarday, I was able to hear all midi projects, but know, I am not. Being an ignorant, sometimes is hard... 

Are your midi tracks properly pointing to [aka routed to] a sound producing device (such as a hardware or software synth)?

I have  some midi tracks downloaded from learnchoralmusic. I used it till yesterday with no problem... 

Is your mini piano hardware connected to your PC that you use to record midi note data in a DAW such as Cakewalk and then play back on the hardware from the DAW?

In preferences, Midi/devices/ out, I have selected my Audiobox usb (as usual). 

Thank you again, in advance...

I have just realized the problem (just when I was writting) I have to select in Midi/devices/out Microsoft GS wawetable Synth.

Thank you very much!!!!!

My apologies for bothering you, from my deep ignorance.

11 minutes ago, IMA said:

I have just realized the problem (just when I was writting) I have to select in Midi/devices/out Microsoft GS wawetable Synth.

Glad to see you found the cause; however, you might want to consider using something other than the MS GS Wavetable Synth.  I am sure there are others in the forum who would be more forceful in advising against using it.  It is problematic for a number of reasons.  There are other recent threads that address this. Perhaps other users can post links to some of those threads.

In preferences/midi/devices- make sure to check input is checked for your keyboard controller if you are using one.

In output best to uncheck all boxes unless you are using hardware synths. 

The output of all midi tracks needs to be sent to a VST instrument. 

Use the add track + icon to insert an instrument 

Edited by John Vere