Solo Mutes EVERYTHING, including track intended to be soloed.

big-lig

Greetings all. 

I seem to have lost the ability to solo a single MIDI track.  I have a song I've been working on for a while with no issues. I've been able to solo any track I wanted to. Then all of a sudden yesterday, I cannot solo any MIDI track. I can mute them, but when I try to solo them, EVERYTHING is muted (but the mute buttons aren't lit). 

This only applies to MIDI tracks. I CAN solo the two instances of kontact I have in the project. 

Has anyone experienced this? 

I had some issues with Solo over last view Cakewalk versions. Did you update recently? There were some Solo bugs but they seem to have fixed them in the most recent update (can't confirm myself as I didn't update yet to the latest).

Edited by chris.r

Hello John & Chris, and Thank you for replying. I apologize for the late response, but I've been out of town with a family emergency. 

I can solo the two instances of kontact, but whenever I try to solo a MIDI track, EVERYTHING gets muted.

If you truly mean a MIDI track, what is the thing that should be generating audio? Is it an external device which you have wired to send audio back into cakewalk? If so, you would need to make sure that device's audio track is grouped with the MIDI track's solo button so it doesn't get automatically muted along with all your other tracks.

Note how in Cactus' screenshot above soloing the MIDI track ("Kick") also solos the instrument it's driving ("SI-Drums"). Sometimes I'll use this as a quick way to check routing in a complex project where the audio and MIDI tracks aren't right next to each other. You should see the same thing when you solo your MIDI track: a companion audio track should also be automatically highlighted. If you don't, then that MIDI track may be mis-routed, e.g. to an instrument that's been deleted.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your responses and assistance. This has now be resolved. I still don't know what was flaky with my installation of cakewalk, but as of the most recent update, its all back to working the way it's supposed to.