Cakewalk crashed did it save a copy?

RICHARD HUTCHINS

Hi

After much work on a song I was using melodyne and the program crashed big time. I seem to recall pressing "yes" for it to save a copy but its nowhere to be seen. An afternoons work lost if I cant find it. Ideas anyone, its a new one for me! Very very annoying to say the least, I actually was almost happy with my vocals for once!

Lesson learned. It's been talked about a lot here and most of use have learned that when working with Melodyne your need to do 3 things.

1- Work with a copy of the original vocal track so you can always go back. 

2- Work with short clips, no more than 2 measures. The shorter the better.

3- Always render the clip when you are finished editing. If you change your mind latter you can copy from the original back up. 

I break mine into lines between breaths where there's always a visible break. This also serves to clean up the noises between as well. 

And Always save as you work after you have spent any amount of time you don't want to loose with any editing or recording. And you can always activate auto save but myself that creates clutter in my project folder I don't want. 

As far as your missing back up. Did you look in the project folder? It will be there and be marked as such. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

Thanks John. Yes I found it in the folder, "phew" I missed the "recover" label amongst the other versions. I didnt save as I went, got so wrapped up in what I was trying out, lesson learned.

The recovery version looks different, can I simply go back to using this or is there something I should know about the recovery version? 

I don't think I've used a recovery version but I will assume it will have saved the exact state of the project at the time of the crash. Probably not the last edit you did and if you haven't been rendering the Melodyne tracks then all of it would be lost. What happens is you can overload your computers memory I do do believe.  

If your saying it "looks" different then possibly you have a different workspace loaded?  

The good news is the original is still just fine and if you only lost the work you did in that session then as I said, lesson learned. We only do that once( hopefully :)