In the Piano Roll View, how do I get rid of the controllers?

Michael McBroom

You know how in the PRV the controllers have these little squares with minus signs next to them? When I click on the minus sign, the controller disappears, but the next time I visit that track, all the controllers I've "deleted" have come back. So, what's the trick? How do I permanently delete a controller? I've searched through the PRV dropdowns. The best candidate seems to be Tracks/Clear Track Selection, but it doesn't seem to do anything. So I'm stumped. There's bound to be a way to get this done that I just haven't found yet.

Andres, I should have thought of using the Eraser Tool. Worked like a charm, but it doesn't get rid of the controllers. It just empties them. Good enough for now.

Scook, neither of your methods works for me on this machine -- Win10, latest version of CWbB. Specifically, nothing happens when I hit the delete key. I tried with a few differrent controllers, some empty, some not.

Usually, instead of Edit/Select/All, I just double click on any track number. Same thing.

1 hour ago, Michael McBroom said:

Andres, I should have thought of using the Eraser Tool. Worked like a charm, but it doesn't get rid of the controllers. It just empties them

May be they are already erased, but the lane is still active, because you have not refreshed the PRV. I guess the lane will disappear if you close and reopen the PRV?

OR, there is additional controller data ahead out of your view?

Edited by Andres Medina

4 hours ago, scook said:

With the controller pane in focus and the controller to delete displayed

• Edit > Select > All
  • press the Delete key

I created a MIDI track with some MIDI notes and CC1 events in it, put the CC1 controler pane in focus then Edit>Select>All and hit Delete. It did the same ctrl+A would do - select everything along with the notes - and deleted all.

Was hoping for a quick way to select just the control events in the CC1 pane but it seems there is no quick way, only through By Filter or manually with lasso...?

12 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I created a MIDI track with some MIDI notes and CC1 events in it, put the CC1 controler pane in focus then Edit>Select>All and hit Delete. It did the same ctrl+A would do - select everything along with the notes - and deleted all.

Was hoping for a quick way to select just the control events in the CC1 pane but it seems there is no quick way, only through By Filter or manually with lasso...?

Yeah, select all does not work.

I though I had already deleted that from the message.

It's gone now

One way that does not involve selecting events is converting the controller to an envelope and deleting the envelope from the track view.

ZXABNAc.gif

• Like 1

Go to track view

Select track(s)/clips from which you want to delete controllers

Edit > Select > by Filter...

Click the "None" button

Click the Controllers checkbox (Min/Max should be 0/127)

Click OK

Hit the delete key

Return to PRV

Hit the minus on any controller still showing

Bottom line is there’s always more than one way to do the same things in Cakewalk.

And the choice of what view you use too. We have as above found you can use the PVR, Event list and Track View.
I would imagine you can also use the Notation view as well ? 

Yet in such powerful DAW like Cakewalk, if I have a synth or hammond organ track with many different CCs (organ track can easily have more than 20 if live recorded), there's simply no quick 'select all CCs of that same type' (lasso-selecting all events of a given controller pane is not a quick select-all).