Free Roland JX-8P Soft Synth Sim

Scott R. Garrigus

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

Yep, roland cloud authorization method sucks :( 

It's surprising that comes from a music tech company. They don't think people will have it on a DAW? They don't realize you don't want notifications while you're tracking? I have it installed, but I have startup and notifications disabled. I haven't purchased anything because of the implementation.

• Like 2

Yep, roland cloud authorization method sucks :( 

Yep, that's why I think I will stick to the Korg Collection 3 for my digital synth emulation collection. It is very, very nice! I had a Korg X-2 workstation back in the 90's, so their ROMplers are a bit familiar. And I always wanted a Wavestation, but could never afford one!

I guess if I want some retro Roland ROMpler sounds, I will have to drag my gear out of the closet. But I have been moving away from hardware for the last 10 years. Virtual instruments are so much easier to work with. Look Ma, no SysEx! :)

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2021 at 4:11 PM, abacab said:

Yep, I looked into Roland Cloud, but passed on that. Have similar feelings about that RC like I do with Waves WUP, LOL!

I would have liked the JV-1080 emulation, as I have the real hardware rack version of that one, as well as the earlier JV880, and the later XP-30 61-key synth, fully expanded.

But even with an outright purchase, you still have to be connected to the net to remain "activated".  SMH... 😢

Really ? That's a downer. I thought you only needed the connection to activate an install :(

3 hours ago, iRelevant said:

Really ? That's a downer. I thought you only needed the connection to activate an install :(

A constant connection is not required. But periodic connections are required to maintain product activations.

I believe that they may have increased the duration between required online "check-ins", but that is how Roland rolls...

2 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Yep, from once a week to once a month, after collecting too much fuss about it. Still a bummer, if you're not online it will lock you right there where you are.

Very nice of Korg to take the high road, and avoid that recurring activation drama! :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

Very nice of Korg to take the high road, and avoid that recurring activation drama! :)

Agree, I have the Collection without some of the latest additions, and they are very useful. I think, in a long run, I would shell out for one or two Roland perpetual licenses if there was just online activation without the rest of annoyance.

2 hours ago, abacab said:

A constant connection is not required. But periodic connections are required to maintain product activations.

I believe that they may have increased the duration between required online "check-ins", but that is how Roland rolls...

Total turn off for me. I have been impressed and contemplating exploring the MV-1 setup in combo with RC. Seemed very convenient to have software replicas of their digital synths. Well well ... Just need to keep on stacking in the rack then I see ... :) 

From a ownership perspective this seems like a regression far back in time. With time 'your' product will become obsolete and depreciated. Observe these problems already with early NI releases. 20 years from now it will be the same with RC stuff, while the physical hardware after a recap still keeps on rocking hard.

Agree, I have the Collection without some of the latest additions, and they are very useful. I think, in a long run, I would shell out for one or two Roland perpetual licenses if there was just online activation without the rest of annoyance.

I've got some of the Korg stuff and like that. Roland had a sale last year and I was tempted to get both the D-50 and 808. The Jupiter is good too, but I have a jp-8080 with all the knobs...

• Like 1