Free Roland JX-8P Soft Synth Sim

Scott R. Garrigus

1 hour ago, Scott R. Garrigus said:

Nice! Thanks for the reminder. I have this, but hadn't gotten around to checking it out.

I haven't done a detailed comparison, but one catch with Syntronik is that you must start with a preset that has sampled oscillators baked into the preset, and you cannot change them. So if you want to build your own sound there isn't any "Init" to begin from.

But you can choose a preset close to what you want and still have control over the modeled filters, envelopes, & LFO. You may also want to turn off the FX rack to get the dry sound, as many presets already have "performance" FX included.

One of the strengths of Syntronik is that you can build multis, with splits and/or layers of up to 4 instruments/presets. That and the arpeggiator lend itself to a decent performance mode! Add the Taurus Bass to the low end and off you go (not my idea, I saw a Jordan Rudess demo...)! 😎

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 11:30 AM, iRelevant said:

Thanks. A great sounding plug. Also available as a 32-bit. Me like. Still also using 32-bit DAWs on the side. Into retro digital sort of.

I'm no longer using 32-bit, but retro digital is cool. 😎

Not sure if you were actually referring to the JX-8P as "digital", as it was a fully analog synth which was designed to compete with the new digital synths in the mid-80's, such as the Yamaha DX-7. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_JX-8P

For retro digital, I have 2 versions of virtual emulations of Casio CZ (my first synth in the mid-80's), the UVI Digital Synsations (a sample library based on Roland, Korg, Ensonic, and Ysmaha digital synths)), and the Korg Collection 3 which has virtual emulations of the digital M1, Wavestation, and both the Triton and Triton Extreme. The Korg collection is my most recent acquisition and there is lot to explore in there. Still digging in, LOL! In addition to digital, it also has 5 very cool analog models. 😎

9 hours ago, abacab said:

I'm no longer using 32-bit, but retro digital is cool. 😎

Not sure if you were actually referring to the JX-8P as "digital", as it was a fully analog synth which was designed to compete with the new digital synths in the mid-80's, such as the Yamaha DX-7. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_JX-8P

For retro digital, I have 2 versions of virtual emulations of Casio CZ (my first synth in the mid-80's), the UVI Digital Synsations (a sample library based on Roland, Korg, Ensonic, and Ysmaha digital synths)), and the Korg Collection 3 which has virtual emulations of the digital M1, Wavestation, and both the Triton and Triton Extreme. The Korg collection is my most recent acquisition and there is lot to explore in there. Still digging in, LOL! In addition to digital, it also has 5 very cool analog models. 😎

In this context I was thinking about older audio plug-ins. I'm still using a Yamaha DX7-ii and Roland D-10 though, mostly for the sake of the feel of the keybeds these days ... but there are also still some unique custom sounds in them that I use from time to time. 

8 hours ago, chris.r said:

Are there any good D-10/D-50 emulations apart from the expensive Roland Cloud? Like we have Dexed which is pretty amazing, same with PG-8X. Also there's VirtualCZ that can be had for a small fee. But what about D-10 or 50?

I think the problem with D-50 emulation is with distributing the samples that made up part of the instrument's sound. Only Roland has those samples.

From the Roland Cloud description:

The D-50 completely changed the synth landscape when it was released in 1987. Powered by Roland’s groundbreaking LA (Linear Arithmetic) synthesis engine, the instrument’s potent mixture of samples, virtual analog, and integrated effects allowed programmers to produce all manner of stunning sounds never heard before.

I recall that this was also an issue with emulating a Yamaha SY77/SY99 synth that mixed sampling with FM, so that unauthorized emulations were limited to a stripped down FM only version. https://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/sy77.php

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, chris.r said:

Are there any good D-10/D-50 emulations apart from the expensive Roland Cloud? Like we have Dexed which is pretty amazing, same with PG-8X. Also there's VirtualCZ that can be had for a small fee. But what about D-10 or 50?

Pink Noise Deepflight 2

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fleer said:

Yeah, no actual emulation apart from RC …

Yep, I looked into Roland Cloud, but passed on that. Have similar feelings about that RC like I do with Waves WUP, LOL!

I would have liked the JV-1080 emulation, as I have the real hardware rack version of that one, as well as the earlier JV880, and the later XP-30 61-key synth, fully expanded.

But even with an outright purchase, you still have to be connected to the net to remain "activated".  SMH... 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 1