Opinion: Studio Instruments Suite vs. Sound Center?

Dave G

Question

Which do you consider is the better VST: Studio Instruments Suite or Cakewalk Sound Center?

In choosing an electric piano, bass guitar, or stringed instrument, it's hard for me to decide which library to pick from. I like them both, and I don't necessarily have a "go-to" VST yet for these particular instruments. (However, I ultimately opt for CSC by the end of the mix process.)

Side note: They both have infinite possibilities for Strings! I'm not particularly well-versed in assembling string sections, so I usually opt for a generic string ensemble instrument.

I'm just kind of curious about others' thoughts as I try to commit to certain instruments. What is your opinion between the two? Thanks in advance.

SI.jpg

CSC.jpg

Edited by Dave G

3 answers to this question

I don't know what Cakewalk Sound Center is, but when it comes to string VSTi's, I like one that's part of the freeware Orchestools Sections instruments. Had they been available half a dozen years ago, I would not have bothered with SONIVOX.

Done by the forum's own @ilir bajri, they are great instruments. There are also Brass and Winds Sections.

• Like 1

Rapture Session replaced CSC for me back in 2016 since RS integrated the  sound library from CSC.  CSC is only 32 bit and the sounds are very much dated and sound like the worst part of the 90s digital audio sounds, IMO.  

But now i've retired Rapture Session and just solely rely on Reason Studios "Reason Rack" plug in for instruments, and even the included "Reason Rack Effects" plug in that lets you use their native  SSL channel and compressor. 

Reason 11 comes with Softube bass and guitar amp emulation, tons of drum kits, orchestrator samplers.....I literally no longer need a bunch of VSTi plug ins as the Reason Rack provides an entire suite of instruments and they SOUND INCREDIBLE! 

I do enjoy the Cakewalk Bass VSTi and the Strings because they sound fine for MIDI composing and have the drag and drop MIDI songwriting loop aides. 

I think the Session Drummer 3 and the Drums VST are terrible sounding things using sound fonts but are good tools if you can spend the time to gut out all of those awful samples they come with from the 90s!   How does samples from the 70s and 80s sound just wonderful but the 90s sounds like a prozac commercial?  Its hideous!

17 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I don't know what Cakewalk Sound Center is, but when it comes to string VSTi's, I like one that's part of the freeware Orchestools Sections instruments.

Done by the forum's own @ilir bajri, they are great instruments.

I've never heard of Orchestools. I'll have to give that a look.

14 hours ago, Clovis Ramsay said:

Rapture Session replaced CSC for me back in 2016 since RS integrated the  sound library from CSC.  CSC is only 32 bit and the sounds are very much dated and sound like the worst part of the 90s digital audio sounds, IMO.  

But now i've retired Rapture Session and just solely rely on Reason Studios "Reason Rack" plug in for instruments, and even the included "Reason Rack Effects" plug in that lets you use their native  SSL channel and compressor. 

Reason 11 comes with Softube bass and guitar amp emulation, tons of drum kits, orchestrator samplers.....I literally no longer need a bunch of VSTi plug ins as the Reason Rack provides an entire suite of instruments and they SOUND INCREDIBLE! 

I think the Session Drummer 3 and the Drums VST are terrible sounding things using sound fonts but are good tools if you can spend the time to gut out all of those awful samples they come with from the 90s!   How does samples from the 70s and 80s sound just wonderful but the 90s sounds like a prozac commercial?  Its hideous!

I never thought CSC instruments sounded dated or bad at all. But then again, I purchased a bundle of Digital Sound Factory instrument expansion packs to populate my library.

As far as Studio Instruments Drums and Session Drummer 3, I like those about the same. I don't hear anything substandard of those VST's. Possibly though, because I'm not a seasoned audiophile, or I'm simply used to working with the resources I have.

Besides, I'm learning that a little bit of tweaking of the knobs/dials of the drum kit pieces can make a big difference.

I just want to make music and have fun. 😄

• Like 1