Soft Synth volume too low

AB9

This is driving me crazy.  I have emotional cello.  It uses Kontakt player 6.  Everytime I start it reduces the volume.  This is on a particular multi-track piece.

If I start a new project, no problem.  I have deleted the volume controller on the track.  What am I missing?

Link to the help is in the post.

It has an image of Preferences > Project > MIDI

Note: this is per-project setting. 

To affect future projects, make the change to the project templates.

When changing templates that came with the DAW make sure to save them with different names or use a custom path.

The path setting is in Preference > File > Folder Locations.

Modifications to templates shipped with the DAW in the default folder may be overwritten by an update.

The installers do not write to a custom project template path.

I have had this happen often with Kontakt instruments.  I have solved it by being sure no controllers are mapped to "expression" in the instrument's settings.  If MIDI CC controller 11 is mapped to expression and I don't have any CC 11 events in the track, the instrument goes silent because it needs that input.   If you do want to use expression, then keep it mapped and be sure to input the controller value(s) you want.

Another thing that is helpful is to look at your event list for the MIDI track and see if there are any MIDI modulators showing up that might be affecting volume - not just #7.  Again, it depends how those modulators are mapped in the instrument's interface.  A track that plays fine with one cello VST may be silent if you use another cello that is a differently mapped.

Good luck.

Edited by William W. Saunders, Jr.
  • Great Idea 1

bdickens - you nailed it!  Even though cakewalk does not all cc1 "volume" - it is indeed volume for the Emotional Cello library.   Sailor55 - I have not tried your solution yet, but I appreciate it. 

keep in mind that every soft synth plugin has its own (usually) preprogrammed controllers, affecting different parameters. We really must learn as much as possible about the plugin we are using.

Nowadays it seems that learning to play an instrument has a lot to do with learning to programme" a plugin...! 

• Like 2