combining tracks

Michael Bauer

Question

This should be a simple process, but it is eluding me.

In the past with Cakewalk Home Studio 2004XL, I could combine (mix down) two tracks to one track for more simplicity.  I can't seem to do or find a way to do this in Bandlab.  I tried "bounce to clip" and a bar on the screen said something about mixing the track but that was it.  I didn't see a new track or anything.  I even created a new track and tried the bounce to clip option again.  No luck.  I even opened a new track then copied both tracks and tried to paste that into the new track.  BL just created another track so I was back to two tracks where I was in the beginning. 

To explain more of what I'm doing.  I have an 8 channel mixing board for my drum set.  I've set all of my levels, EQs, etc in the mixer.  I output it to my Scarlett 2i2 with the left output in the first channel and right in the second channel with 2 tracks activated in Bandlab.  No problem there as they come up as a stereo mix in BL once they are panned.  Here's where the problem comes in.  It's been a long time (decades, actually) since I played drums consistently so I am very very rusty.  Instead of trying to play the entire song and having to risk playing it over and over again until I get it the way I want it, I just do a verse and chorus then copy/paste it for the next verse and chorus.  I play something different in the mid-parts (sometimes I will do the mid-parts on separate tracks, sometimes not), then back to the C/P of the verse chorus.  I've combined two or more tracks before in CWHS and would like to do that again so the parts aren't broken up and it can be down to one stereo track instead of two more.

What am I missing here?        

8 answers to this question

Bandlab is the one I'm using now.  I doubt CWHS2004XL would even be compatible with Win 10.  Last time I used CW was on a Win XP PC in the mid 2000s.   I was just saying that I used to be able to do that in CW as a reference point to explain what I had done and would like to be able to do the same thing here in BL.  With all of the upgrades from CW in 2004 it would seem that it should be able to be done with BL as well. 

Edited by Michael Bauer

53 minutes ago, Michael Bauer said:

Bandlab is the one I'm using now.  I doubt CWHS2004XL would even be compatible with Win 10.  Last time I used CW was on a Win XP PC in the mid 2000s.   I was just saying that I used to be able to do that in CW as a reference point to explain what I had done and would like to be able to do the same thing here in BL.  With all of the upgrades from CW in 2004 it would seem that it should be able to be done with BL as well. 

Bdickens question is still out there.

..."and would like to be able to do the same thing here in BL." HERE is NOT BL=Bandlab, which is an online daw you use with your webbrowser.

Okay.  The top corner of this forum page says, "Cakewalk by Bandlab".  Is this all over terminology?  When I start a project, I click the icon that says "Cakewalk by Bandlab".  It's the center one of the circled icons.  Should I say Cakewalk or Bandlab?  I used the term BL because I had already been using CWHS prior to explain what I was able to do with CWHS with hopes of not causing confusion of the two programs. 

I  haven't read the link yet, but I assume the link supplied will answer my question.

Thanks. 

bandlab icon.jpg

It seems like you have 2 questions: how to combine separate clips in the same track into 1 long clip, and how to combine different tracks into 1 stereo track.

The first part: select all the clips in a track that you want to combine. This is easily accomplished by clicking the Track number so all the clips in the track are highlighted. Then go to Clips above the tracks and select Bounce To Clip(s) there. That should combine all the selected clips into 1 continuous clip.

To combine all your tracks into 1 stereo master track, select all the tracks you want while holding down the Ctrl button on your keyboard. Or Ctrl A. Then go to Tracks above your tracks and select Bounce To Track(s). Make some selections in the following dialogs, like Master Mix, and click OK. You should the have a mix of all your track in 1 track. 

Good luck!

13 minutes ago, Michael Bauer said:

Okay.  The top corner of this forum page says, "Cakewalk by Bandlab".  Is this all over terminology?  When I start a project, I click the icon that says "Cakewalk by Bandlab".  It's the center one of the circled icons.  Should I say Cakewalk or Bandlab?  I used the term BL because I had already been using CWHS prior to explain what I was able to do with CWHS with hopes of not causing confusion of the two programs. 

I  haven't read the link yet, but I assume the link supplied will answer my question.

Thanks. 

Bandlab is the online app. Cakewalk by Bandlab is the computer program. It's usually shortened to CbB or just Cakewalk here. That's what you're using.