Quiet Piano Effect

Dean

I would like to use an effect called Quiet Piano to learn how to use effects.  So I found the effect clicking on FX-Insert Virtual Instruments-Uncategorized-choosing Quiet Piano-dragging it to FX-Clicked on the blue screen that said Start.  Quiet Piano shows up but I can only play the keys with the mouse.  Is there a way to use a MIDI keyboard?

Thanks

17 minutes ago, Dean said:

I would like to use an effect called Quiet Piano to learn how to use effects.  So I found the effect clicking on FX-Insert Virtual Instruments-Uncategorized-choosing Quiet Piano-dragging it to FX-Clicked on the blue screen that said Start.  Quiet Piano shows up but I can only play the keys with the mouse.  Is there a way to use a MIDI keyboard?

Thanks

Quiet Piano is a VST virtual instrument.

You need to insert it as an instrument, rather than an FX. Then you should be able to play it from your MIDI keyboard.

It sounds like you are just starting out using MIDI and cakewalk? I would suggest that you google tutorials for Cakewalk. It's a very deep program with a long history. It was built utilizing MIDI as it's ground floor and it's probably the best program for MIDI instrumentation.

To answer your question - yes there is a way to play using a midi keyboard.

Also, while I do like the way Quiet Music's instruments sound, they do have some quirks. For what I suspect are ROMplers, they are surprisingly resource-hungry, and with a couple of them, they'll make no sound until you open the UI and click "Start," as you noted, which is unusual and unnecessary.

Not hatin', I use them for some stuff, but there are caveats.

If you want to start learning how to use 3rd-party FX and instruments, the Dead Duck collections of each are a great place to start. Really good sounding Rhodes-type piano and some straightforward bread-and-butter synths, and one each of every basic audio processor there is. All free, too. Search for "Dead duck vst."

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies!

It is a deep program as you say.  At least I know it is possible to do what I want.  Just a matter of finding tutorials on it.  I have been able to use effects built into Cakewalk but have more to learn.  Lots of advice already.  Do you think the sight "Creative Sauce" is good for learning?

• Like 1

Depending on what kind of music you want to make, Creative Sauce is great for general info, XEL Ohh is also great and is more hip hop/electronic oriented.

While the Reference Guide is absolutely essential, I wouldn't say that at this point it's the best for learning. The way I use it is to look up things when I get stuck. I like the YouTube and user-written tutorials more for learning. They tend to "put it all together," showing how to accomplish tasks end-to-end.