Jump to content
Peter - IK Multimedia

(not a deal) T-RackS Tascam Tape Collection now available

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Can't see any benefit of mimicking tape style signal degradation.

I see them as fancy saturation plugins...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

Can't see any benefit of mimicking tape style signal degradation.

I can't see any benefits in using obsolete 1930's vacuum tube technology either.

Or the thousands-year-old technology of making sounds by blowing through a cylinder or rubbing tensioned strings together or plucking them.

 

Oh, wait.....

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, abacab said:

I see them as fancy saturation plugins...

That's what they are. :D Maybe I just don't want that style of saturation in my tracks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bdickens said:

I can't see any benefits in using obsolete 1930's vacuum tube technology either.

Or the thousands-year-old technology of making sounds by blowing through a cylinder or rubbing tensioned strings together or plucking them.

 

Oh, wait.....

Hmm... I was talking about signal quality while processing recorded performance and you are talking about age of technology and making sounds. o.O

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Typically both.  Which is why we have such a roster already, it was really Orange who best realized (both literally and figuratively) that having their gear modeled is definitely beneficial and we were the choice to do so.  MESA as well and they were very particular as well.

Please note that while I'm sure it is unintentional, phrasing it like "allowing their name to be used" can sound quite insulting and is definitely inaccurate.  We don't work with companies that just want to slap their name on something for a few bucks.  We don't create the models we do by having a company say "we'll just send some schematics" either.  It is always a partnership and the companies involved need to be fully involved and the pickier they are the better.  We've been lucky with that last part, might say unlucky in some ways but the effort is worth it :)

totally unintentional if it came across as negative. i was juts curious about the product. thats all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

I thought X-Gear series is meant to be Amplitube in a box. Having a software version of a hardware version of the original software version is kind of gimmicky to me. No offense intended.

As for tape machine emulators, I genuinely tried to find a place for them in my workflow, but eventually had to give up. Can't see any benefit of mimicking tape style signal degradation.

the tapes plugin slapped on a  drum bus really do make drums sounds  good. they have been a permanent fixture on my setup.

these teac tapes i think *may* be something for benefit for hip hop and lofi genre artists. trying to get the feel of the quirkyness and imperfection of tape to make the track more human and less digital sounding is useful for some artists in that genre.

Edited by telecode 101
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IKMz juzt wantz me to buyz morez of their productz.

BRB (goez and countz Jambpointz)

Edited by Bapu
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

IKMz juzt wantz me to buyz morez of their productz.

BRB (goez and countz Jambpointz)

Dinnit need jambpointz. It just loaded in my cart for a breath under $91USD.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now, I'm gonna test the Porta One this way.

Get a digitized version of one of my Porta One (I still have it). Then use IZOTOPE RX-8 Advanced to clean it up to a new copy. Then run the cleaned up copy through the IKM Porta One VST.

Then null test the two.

 

 

I'll get me coat.

  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soundwise said:

I thought X-Gear series is meant to be Amplitube in a box. Having a software version of a hardware version of the original software version is kind of gimmicky to me. No offense intended.

As for tape machine emulators, I genuinely tried to find a place for them in my workflow, but eventually had to give up. Can't see any benefit of mimicking tape style signal degradation.

I think they could have done a little bit better job with the marketing around explaining the X-Gear pedals.  I can confirm they do not sound like the older Amplitube Effects, algos are clearly different.  

Most people also associate Amplitube with the Amp Sims, of which are entirely missing from the line up (and is honestly the only physical pedal I would have been interested in), though I'm liking the Software versions they did relase of effects - I just think at that price point they have some real competition and I already have a high end pedal board that doesn't feel lacking to me.

Tape Sims you have to be careful with, and I'm the first person to jump on the bandwaggon of things like "vinyl isn't better than CD, becuase it has a smaller dynamic range, introduces distortion at multiple places and almost always has a more limited frequency response"  that said, Tape style saturation doesn't by nature have "limitations" other than the inherant creates distortion property, and potentially has compression.  But both of those can be in flavors that are pleasing and musical to the final product.  Even on a clean guitar tone, just about everyone actually wants at least just a touch of saturation truly clean tone tends to sound sterile and I think of recording in this same way.  Absolutly pure and clean tone usually doesn't sound as good as a little harmonic warmth going on for just about any style other than classical.  

 

As for these tape sims, I wonder what the market perception will be for these.  I think many pepole associate Tascam with porta-studio and consumer grade gear, even though they made some legit studio machines also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Now, I'm gonna test the Porta One this way...

Once you've bought it, make a quick CPU usage test and please report back. I dare you to slap an instance on every track of a 20-40 tracks project and watch the CPU bar progress. Are you running a typical midrange class pc like most of us mortals do? Oh, wait a minute... 

:D:D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, simon said:

isn't nostalgia wonderful  -  I seem to remember that we were desperate to get recordings that DIDN'T sound like they were recorded on a Porta-One.

Even the 3340/3440 weren't exactly amazing - aimed at the budget end of the market .........

 

 

More like overrated.  How many kids who listen to music on their phones are gonna say, "oh man this thing is so much better with tape emulation".  "This woulda been a hit if it had tape emulation".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

More like overrated.  How many kids who listen to music on their phones are gonna say, "oh man this thing is so much better with tape emulation".  "This woulda been a hit if it had tape emulation".

Sometimes I wonder, if digital would have been invented first and now we where just starting to get analog gear. Would people complain that analog is not as crisp as digital? That it introduces distortion that we didn't have before and therefore not as clean as we are used to?

Is the human such a creature of habit and nostalgia that whatever it has been accustomed to for years is always better?

Hum, I wonder... 🤔

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fleer said:

I’d give my X-pedals for these Tapes anytime. 

Not me, but I might consider trading the other IK tapes for these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Sometimes I wonder, if digital would have been invented first and now we where just starting to get analog gear. Would people complain that analog is not as crisp as digital? That it introduces distortion that we didn't have before and therefore not as clean as we are used to?

Is the human such a creature of habit and nostalgia that whatever it has been accustomed to for years is always better?

Hum, I wonder... 🤔

 Same here.

 

Edited by Paul Young

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all about harmonic content. It doesn't really matter where it comes from, but it can make things sound better (or worse). I don't really think adding pleasant harmonic content like this is any different than any other way it's done. It's all about balancing frequencies at the end of the day. Different freqs for different freaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

 

Is the human such a creature of habit and nostalgia that whatever it has been accustomed to for years is always better?

Hum, I wonder... 🤔

Hell yeah!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...