Presonus driver (Universal Control) on win10 and win7

RummieGit

Hi,

I am currently making music with a Presonus interface Studio 1824c. My old M-Audio interface has big technical problems. I use two Windows computers with win10 and still win7 (offline) . Both PCs are connected to the interface. With a switch I can connect the respective PC. This worked fine with my Maudio interface. Now I try to install the Presonus Universal Control (UC) also on both PCs.

I use an UC driver which is supposed to be suitable for win10 and win7.  After installation, the software prompts me to update the firmware on both PCs. This works fine on the win10 PC. An update to the current win7 firmware is not possible on the win7 PC. UC does not open. I can playback sound from DAWs, but I can't record anything without an internal mixer.

Presonus support has replied to work only with win10. And terminated the threat. What a support!!! I can not and do not want to update the win7 PC at the moment.

Who of you has an idea how I can open and use UC also on the win7 pc?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Kind regards

RummieGit

bdickens

Thank you for the feedback. Also Presonus has in the manual of the interface that older drivers run on win10 and win7. In addition, I know software companies (eg MeldaProduction or Klanghelm) whose products still run on win7. The most important thing for me is that you are not forced to update to the current version, which can not work because the driver version only runs on win10. In addition, my win7 PC usually runs offline. Security issues do not play the decisive role. Downloads run over another PC with win10.

Well, maybe there is another tip for me after all.

Best regards
RummieGit

Lots of apps still run on W7 and will continue to. 

One of the great things about Windows is that Microsoft is not in the habit of breaking software with new OS releases like Apple is. Not only will old software will often run on the new OS, very often new software will run on the Old OS. 

But there are no guarantees. I don't think any developer in their right minds is going to spend resources dealing with issues arising on an OS that is no longer being maintained. If it works, great but don't expect any support.

We have people running CbB on W7 just fine but Cakewalk's official line is "it should work but you're on your own."

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 3

@bdickens

Yes, that is all correct. But I think that some developers still care about users who work with old programs and not only think about their current business. Klanghelm, for example, two years ago still made versions of its plugins that run on winxp.

In fact, what bothers me most is the arrogance of companies that, with reference to technical progress, fire up the engine of permanent change with the updates that go with it. There is no longer any interest in individual solutions. And those who don't want to or can't keep up are left behind. I want to make music and not constantly struggle with technical innovations.

Probably I will change the interface if there is no solution for the problem. But maybe I will also get my old Fostex 4-track tape recorder from the attic. Today I saw that IK has recreated the Tascam recorder digitally.

43 minutes ago, RummieGit said:

Klanghelm, for example, two years ago still made versions of its plugins that run on winxp.

Maybe two years ago, but I just looked and it's Windows 7 SP 1 or higher.

In fact, what bothers me most is the arrogance of companies that, with reference to technical progress, fire up the engine of permanent change with the updates that go with it. There is no longer any interest in individual solutions.

It's not "arrogance," it's economics. Developers are running a business. They can't afford to waste resources pursuing solutions for the one Luddite who insists on sticking with Windows 98 because he doesn't want to change. It just isn't viable.

Realize too that none of them - not even the major players - are large companies. Most of them are at most a scant handful of people. A lot are even just one or two.

those who don't want to or can't keep up are left behind.

Welcome to the world of what is. It's a lot easier to live there than in the world of what if.

I want to make music and not constantly struggle with technical innovations.

So does everybody else but if you don't keep up within reason you'll really struggle. There just isn't much of a market for buggy whips any more.

But maybe I will also get my old Fostex 4-track tape recorder from the attic.

That just might work. Until you can't get cassette tapes any more.

Edited by bdickens
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have a dual cassette deck, a VHS recorder, even a standalone CD/DVD player recorder - just in case but it’s been years since I’ve had any use for them. 
I have a similar timeline that covers PCs and their ancient OS’s going back to win 98se I think,
in the end I use Win 10 21H1 Its the latest designation I think. 
I believe the reality of working with technology is to work at the front of the development line not bringing up the rear. 
There was a time when having the ability to time travel to meet a clients needs meant something, now it’s just a cluttered mess that would be better off in a museum than taking up precious space at my place. The various OS’s are simply images taking up a few gigs of space on a hard drive with some limited ancillary hardware to make it work if needed. Can’t remember the last time I did however. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/13/2021 at 10:21 AM, RummieGit said:

what bothers me most is the arrogance of companies that, with reference to technical progress, fire up the engine of permanent change with the updates that go with it.

And your cited example of this is a peripheral manufacturer's lack of support for an operating system that was superseded 10 years ago.

I think we're far enough along the road of personal computer history that most people realize that if we get 10 years of service life from any computer component, that's exceptional. I'm very much "trailing edge" when it comes to computer hardware. A few days ago I made a purchase/trade for a new-in-box Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I still prefer Firewire, when it comes to connecting A/V equipment, I like my protocols to be full-duplex. I probably paid 1/5 what it was going for 10 years ago, also a fraction of whatever the feature-comparable version of it is in the Focusrite or Presonus lineup. And I also took on the risk of buying something where the manufacturer explicitly announced that they were no longer supporting it a year ago. It's a gamble, seeing how long it will remain usable. It will never get a Windows 11 driver. I have no idea how long Windows in any of its forms will be able to communicate with any Firewire interface.

The interface that it replaced, a Presonus Firepod/FP10, was still working as well as it did the day it came off the assembly line in 2008 or so. As long as you install the Presonus "Windows 7" driver in compatibility mode, it cruises right along in all its 1st-generation prosumer ADC/DAC glory. If I hadn't made the mistake of listening to a brand-new Presonus Studio 2|4c that sounded holographic by comparison, I'd still be running the wheels off of it. Turns out that there were some big advances in jitter-avoidance/correction after my old interface was made. Whaddaya know.

Presonus' driver for the Firepod still works 14 years after the product was news. The Firepod was designed for XP. If you ask me, I'd give Presonus excellent marks for software/OS support.