Jazzy bass plugin wanted

Of course, somebody has to come along and suggest the most expensive option...but it needs to be said: Spectrasonics' Trilian is just about the last word on basses. Not only does it have a great-sounding standup, it has a couple other acoustic basses too, e.g. a Martin that I like a lot. It's really a one-stop-shop for all things bass, including acoustic, electric and synthetic basses. Plus if you have Omnisphere you can layer Trilian + Omnisphere patches. At $299 it's pricey, but really a bargain if you consider how many instruments you're getting.

If you have Kontakt, Orange Tree Samples' CoreBass Pear is excellent and it's only $59. 

I downloaded the adam monroe upright bass, seems a good buy. But...back to the perennial problem of VST plugins I'm afraid, it drives me nuts and I get problems every time. So; it downloads to program files/common files/VST2. I scan using  cakewalk plugin manager, and guess what? no sign of it anywhere. I've asked this question many times and sadly I'm too think to learn how to do this. What have I missed? (sighs)

PS I tick " notify me of replies" but never get an e mail notification, again what have I missed? (sighs again)

None of my VST2  go to the Program file/common folder. Only VST3

I only ever check the 64 bit VST and or VST 3 options.

The VST 2 either go to Program files VST folder or I have  Steinberg VST folder . 
Pay attention during install to the pathway offered. 

Most free VST’s are dead simple and you just open the zip file and drag and drop the .dll into the VST folder.  
VST’s with samples use an installer and usually give you options for where they go  

If you purchase a license they either use an on line manager like the band lab assistant or you enter the serial numbers on first use  

Only VST I’ve ever had issues with installation is Air products. 

Thanks everyone all sorted.

Can I also be cheeky and ask; are there any recommended guitar plugins that you all use? I use THU with the emphasis very much on heavy rock. But I dont really find this suits my songs, far too metal for me. And actually a bit "obvious" if you get my drift....I wondered if there were some more subtle ones out there? Sort of 10cc, Eagles, still rock but not 10 Marhall stacks on top of each other... if you see what I am getting at? If this is the wrong part of the forum let me know though. 

11 minutes ago, RICHARD HUTCHINS said:

are there any recommended guitar plugins that you all use?

This question being asked in an instrument thread might imply that you are seeking a virtual guitar instrument plugin. But the context of your post implies that you are referring to a guitar amp sim plugin, similar to TH-U.

To reply in context to the TH-U plugin, the leading alternatives would probably be IK AmpliTube 5 and NI Guitar Rig. I have Amplitube 5 SE, and it far exceeds my needs!

Right now, IK Multimedia is having a group buy until the end of the month that will give you 23 free IK software products for equal or lesser value then 1 qualifying item that you purchase! Just buy one qualifying item, such as AmpliTube 5 SE,  and you are automatically entered. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/25gb/

You can also check out free versions of IK and NI amp sims at these links:

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitube5cs/

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-6-player/

The TH3 has a lot of very clean sounds for Jazz and Country, I even use it for Folk stuff on acoustic guitar. . They give you standard amps that have been used in Country music for decades. Try one of the Fenders like the Bass Face or , Dark Face or Tweed with the 12' Tweed Cabinet and adjust it just like you would for a real amp.

I actually often don't bother with the amps and just use the pedals.  That's even cleaner that way. I have already recorded using an amp. But sometimes I use my Tone Bone DI box.  The Compressor, Phasor and Chorus I use a lot. I think the Overload TH3 is all I'll ever need. That and I like to use the Sonitus Delay.