Wave V13 is now available

fret_man

33 minutes ago, Olong Johnson said:

I wish I had read this entire thread before updating. Same problem here.

Waves wants money for every small update of their already paid plugins,

so they should pay us for having time consuming problems with their plugs.

I never WUP again.

Edited by Pragi

14 hours ago, locrian said:

You probably already know this, but you can put all your licenses on a flash drive and just plug it into whatever machine you want to use.

I have an old USB 2 hub from 15+ years ago that has my e-licenser, iLok and a cheap flash drive that contains my Waves and Plugin Alliance licenses (I realize that they allow three installations/plugin).  I simply plug this hub into whatever computer I want to work on.

Exactly. I've never really had a problem with Waves in the 10 plus years I've used their plugins. I keep the licenses for Waves and all the other companies on a thumb drive and move between computers. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about using a shell. It all works fine and has for years.

I WUPped for the first time this past spring. No issues or problems. V13 is installed and working fine. Before the WUP I had some V9, V10 and V11 plugins all working nicely together. I feel bad for all those who have complaints with Waves but I've never had any real negative experiences.

• Like 1

For anyone else having problems with the v13 plugins and Studio One, try this procedure from Waves support. It worked for me:

Close any running apps.
Go to Control Panel > Programs & Features.
Scroll down through the list of apps and select each of the Microsoft visual ++ Redistributable files that you see there, starting from the 2012 Redistributable and up.
Go over each one, click on Modify, and hit Repair.
Do this procedure for all the redistributables that you see there and once done restart the computer.
After the restart go to Waves Central's Settings and run the Waves Cleanup.
Once done re-launch Waves Central and install your plugins again.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 8:41 AM, abacab said:

I don't have any issues with installation/authorization of Waves plugins. Plug and play here. Some of them are very, very nice!

But I completely disagree with their 1 license limit, as well as their use of plugin shells. Those really s*ck!

That's why my WUP is over $500..  I bought multiple licenses. I have desktops so moving dongles around are annoying and easier to forget.   That's a reason why I never jump on the Steinberg bandwagon.  

7 hours ago, Olong Johnson said:

I wish I had read this entire thread before updating. Same problem here.

I received a response from support. They were really helpful...not. They told me to do a rescan. It was the first thing I did after updating my plugins. 

I did my own sleuthing. I found that if I moved my V11 and V12 WaveShells out C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3, and did a rescan, the V13 plugins started working. When I moved them back in again and did a rescan, the V13 plugins stopped working. So I did a resinstall of all my Waves plugins and that seems to have fixed the problem.

Edited by Doug Rintoul

1 hour ago, Olong Johnson said:

For anyone else having problems with the v13 plugins and Studio One, try this procedure from Waves support. It worked for me:

Close any running apps.
Scroll down through the list of apps and select each of the Microsoft visual ++ Redistributable files that you see there, starting from the 2012 Redistributable and up.
Do this procedure for all the redistributables that you see there and once done restart the computer.

I suspect this is overkill. They are just covering all their bases. The last step (reinstall) was what worked for me. Didn't have to reboot or anything. The fact that the plugins worked in other DAWs indicated that it was not a redistributable problem.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

17 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I suspect this is overkill. They are just covering all their bases. The last step (reinstall) was what worked for me. Didn't have to reboot or anything. The fact that the plugins worked in other DAWs indicated that it was not a redistributable problem.

Makes sense. Going forward I'll just uninstall with Waves Central before updating.

6 hours ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about using a shell. It all works fine and has for years.

It works, but it seems to be an unnecessary tool.  It causes a plugin scanner to re-scan EVERY plugin in the shell anytime even just one of them was added or updated.

Adds a bit of time if you have many Waves plugins. Just an aggravation, that you need to disable automatic scanning to avoid.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

Exactly. I've never really had a problem with Waves in the 10 plus years I've used their plugins. I keep the licenses for Waves and all the other companies on a thumb drive and move between computers. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about using a shell. It all works fine and has for years.

I WUPped for the first time this past spring. No issues or problems. V13 is installed and working fine. Before the WUP I had some V9, V10 and V11 plugins all working nicely together. I feel bad for all those who have complaints with Waves but I've never had any real negative experiences.

This is a false narrative. Just because it has worked for you with no problems over the years does not mean it all works fine for everyone. My recent experience with V13 and Studio One proves that. I did everything I was supposed to, to move to V13 and it failed. I ended up having to reinstall all my Waves plugins, not just the ones I updated to V13. I would not have had to do that if the plugins had been separate DLLs. 

Edited by Doug Rintoul
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

This is a false narrative. Just because it has worked for you with no problems over the years does not mean it all works fine for everyone. My recent experience with V13 and Studio One proves that. I did everything I was supposed to, to move to V13 and it failed. I ended up having to reinstall all my Waves plugins, not just the ones I updated to V13. I would not have had to do that if the plugins had been separate DLLs. 

I can only talk about my experience with Waves and CbB/Sonar. I don't use S1. And it's hardly a false narrative if it's true for my situation.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

It works, but it seems to be an unnecessary tool.  It causes a plugin scanner to re-scan EVERY plugin in the shell anytime even just one of them was added or updated.

Adds a bit of time if you have many Waves plugins. Just an aggravation, that you need to disable automatic scanning to avoid.

I get that but I don't often add more Waves plugins nowadays because I have all the ones I need. It only takes a couple of seconds to scan the shell and I have about 85 Waves plugins installed so that seems efficient to me. Their plugins are too good and get too much use for me to worry about a shell scan. I know other folks have had issues but I'm  only talking from my experience with Waves and it has been a positive one for me. YMMV

Edited by Tommy Byrnes

2 hours ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

I can only talk about my experience with Waves and CbB/Sonar. I don't use S1. And it's hardly a false narrative if it's true for my situation.

I get that but I don't often add more Waves plugins nowadays because I have all the ones I need. It only takes a couple of seconds to scan the shell and I have about 85 Waves plugins installed so that seems efficient to me. Their plugins are too good and get too much use for me to worry about a shell scan. I know other folks have had issues but I'm  only talking from my experience with Waves and it has been a positive one for me. YMMV

The false narrative is that WaveShell all works fine and has for years. By saying so, you discount other peoples' experiences.  How hard is it to understand that those making a fuss have had problems in the past that could have been avoided if WaveShell had not been used?

Edited by Doug Rintoul

I had problems with Waveshell last year after updating some of my v9, v10 and v11 plugins to v12.  Cakewalk would crash when trying to open any project that used Waves plugins (which was just about every project I had done over the previous 7 years).  After numerous calls with Waves support and uninstalling and reinstalling Waves plugins many times they came to the conclusion that something was wrong with their Cakewalk implementation.  They sent me a special version of WaveShell2-VST3 12.0_x64 (which I am still using), as far as I know the original problem has never been fixed. 

Cakewalk support initially told me it was a known problem with V12 and they were working on it with Waves.  A few day later I was informed by Cakewalk that it was a Waves problem and please don't bother us when you have problems with 3rd party plugins.  I was quite surprised and disappointed by this response, and decided it was time to quit using Cakewalk.  Since I purchased Studio One during the Gibson meltdown, I already had another DAW to start using so I did.  I also quit buying Wave plugins at that time and am trying to minimize my use of Waves plugins, though I still use my Abbey Road and Schepps plugins (I haven't found any replacements for them yet).

I have WUP on all of my plugins until December, so I am trying to decide whether to update to V13 and hope the problem is fixed, or stay at v12 forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

The false narrative is that WaveShell all works fine and has for years. By saying so, you discount other peoples' experiences.  How hard is it to understand that those making a fuss have had problems in the past that could have been avoided if WaveShell had not been used?

As I stated, I don't discount your complaints and I understand some people have had problems, but I have not. Not false narrative but my narrative. If this was such a widespread issue and there were problems all over the place I doubt those who rely on Waves plugins to make a living (like me) would bother with them.  Just my thought.

6 hours ago, Olong Johnson said:

Close any running apps.

Bless you sir! Mr Scheps is now back in my box, waiting to be tweaked. 🤓  I even have that old freebie V11 distortion plug-in that I never use and refused to WUP working. 👍

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tommy Byrnes said:

As I stated, I don't discount your complaints and I understand some people have had problems

You said, you were not sure what all the fuss was about. Your statement implies that people are fussing for nothing. Do you now know what people are fussing about, or do you not care as long as it works for you? 

1 hour ago, Doug Rintoul said:

You said, you were not sure what all the fuss was about. Your statement implies that people are fussing for nothing. Do you now know what people are fussing about, or do you not care as long as it works for you? 

Don't want to make more fuss over this, but he did say:

"I feel bad for all those who have complaints with Waves but I've never had any real negative experiences."

--- Tommy Byrnes

I too was able to upgrade without problems in Cakewalk, but it does not mean I don't feel for those who do have problems. I do. It is just information that says: on some systems/configuration it works. Nothing more. Not a statement that you are wrong, at all. And I believe it is the same sentiment in the quote above. Or maybe I missed something...

It is certainly up to you to decide if you had enough headache with Waves to quit them. I totally understand. I don't like their WUP either. There is something wrong when a company that does not want to listen to inquiries about their product unless you pay upfront! Not being eligible to updates is one thing, but products that you own stops working and they won't answer your questions, it's a different matter. In fact, good companies have this kind of info in a FAQ on their website for everyone to see, free of charge.

For me, I use a couple of their plugins, mostly Scheps Omni Channel and R-Vox and will continue to do so... unless I ever run into the same mess you did!

I get the impression that Waves has a business model built around catering to audio professionals who make a living in the business.

And they have never bothered to alter it for the home studio musicians and hobbyists, who may have different priorities around support, upgrades, etc. Although that is clearly who their recent marketing efforts are going after, what with all of the $29 sales, and the buy x, get x deals.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Don't want to make more fuss over this, but he did say:

"I feel bad for all those who have complaints with Waves but I've never had any real negative experiences."

--- Tommy Byrnes

Ya,  I am probably overreacting. I just get tired of people thinking that because they do not have any problems, other shouldn't either.