Wave V13 is now available

fret_man

6 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

I’m a wave guy. Those plug-ins are in thousands of pro studios. I have watched many mixed with the masters. If you look close many of the big guys computer screens you will see many have them all. I am against leasing WUPing too, but I like the new plug-ins and try to keep things updated at the lowers possible prices. 

Anyone installed them yet? Any problems with this update?

I don't think you will find people that say that sound like garbage, but they do not have a friendly customer model and I have personally found them to have more problems over the years than any other major developer with the authorization and install system.  

That said, even "mid-tier" engineers I know that you have never heard of get massive "artist" style discounts.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

... and I have personally found them to have more problems over the years than any other major developer with the authorization and install system.

Just curious, what types of problems do you have?

To me their installation / authorization system is among the best, right up there with AAS, FabFilter, Plugin Alliance and UVI.  I just click a few buttons and my new plugin is installed and authorized.  No fuss no muss.  Demoing a plugin is just as easy.

• Like 1

I don't have any issues with installation/authorization of Waves plugins. Plug and play here. Some of them are very, very nice!

But I completely disagree with their 1 license limit, as well as their use of plugin shells. Those really s*ck!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, abacab said:

But I completely disagree with their 1 license limit, ...

You probably already know this, but you can put all your licenses on a flash drive and just plug it into whatever machine you want to use.

I have an old USB 2 hub from 15+ years ago that has my e-licenser, iLok and a cheap flash drive that contains my Waves and Plugin Alliance licenses (I realize that they allow three installations/plugin).  I simply plug this hub into whatever computer I want to work on.

And I do something similar with my VIs: they're distributed on five (1TB Samsung) SSDs mounted in an Oyen Digital Mobius Pro 5C 5-Bay USB-C enclosure.  All of my DAWs have the same file structure so I just plug the USB hub and 5-Bay enclosure into whatever machine I want to use and I'm ready to go!  It takes just a minute and greatly simplifies my setup obviating the need (to a large extent) of having to install/update everything on several different systems.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, locrian said:

Just curious, what types of problems do you have?

To me their installation / authorization system is among the best, right up there with AAS, FabFilter, Plugin Alliance and UVI.  I just click a few buttons and my new plugin is installed and authorized.  No fuss no muss.  Demoing a plugin is just as easy.

In the switch from v9 to v10 all my v9 plugins stopped working.  Without WUP, Waves would not support (I manage a large fleet of computers as part of my job, so I'm not exaclty a novice related to sofware installs).

To this day I gave up on all my v9s after follwing a number of tutorials on problem solving.  This isn't just related to one PC either.

Thought things were fine with v12 until one of my plugins (which I have multiple copies of) suddenly would no longer authorize/run across 3 different computers I tried to get it to install on.  Note, it worked fine when I first got it, but some Waves Central update made that one plugin stop working (all others are fine).  Again, past WUP so support is non-existant.

I no longer use WAVES plugins for new projects after my experiences, outside of the occassional use of Silibance.   Thankfully, PA, IK Multimedia, Melda, Audority, etc. make nice plugins.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, locrian said:

You probably already know this, but you can put all your licenses on a flash drive and just plug it into whatever machine you want to use.

I have an old USB 2 hub from 15+ years ago that has my e-licenser, iLok and a cheap flash drive that contains my Waves and Plugin Alliance licenses (I realize that they allow three installations/plugin).  I simply plug this hub into whatever computer I want to work on.

And I do something similar with my VIs: they're distributed on five (1TB Samsung) SSDs mounted in an Oyen Digital Mobius Pro 5C 5-Bay USB-C enclosure.  All of my DAWs have the same file structure so I just plug the USB hub and 5-Bay enclosure into whatever machine I want to use and I'm ready to go!  It takes just a minute and greatly simplifies my setup obviating the need (to a large extent) of having to install/update everything on several different systems.

I've done this as well, but super annoying on mobile machines where USB ports are at a premium (and getting worse with each gen).

Even good USB drives can fail, and thus a 1 seat model means you are going to have to wait for a nice rep to get you re-activated.  With other plugin makers you could simply deautorize and re-authorize the "broken" seat with the extra.  Not only for professional work, but even for side projects, time can be at a premium.  

Most USB flash drives tend to run really hot with such continued prologed use as well.  

Edited by Brian Walton

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

In the switch from v9 to v10 all my v9 plugins stopped working.  Without WUP, Waves would not support ...

I would not react well if that happened to me.  😉

When you say that "...all my v9 plugins stopped working" did this happen as a result of you updating them?  I'm asking b/c I don't understand how an update would affect previously installed/functioning plugins.

1 minute ago, locrian said:

I would not react well if that happened to me.  😉

When you say that "...all my v9 plugins stopped working" did this happen as a result of you updating them?  I'm asking b/c I don't understand how an update would affect previously installed/functioning plugins.

No update to the v9 others in the collectoin were updated to v10 and the ones I did not pay to update to v10 (stayed on v9 stopped working)....worked the day before the Waves Central update.  But the v9s really should have just stayed as is, but simply stopped working for unknown reasons.

55 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

Well this is a bummer. None of my V13 plugins work with Studio One. I am about ready to join Fleer.

Geez- Me too.  None of the plugs work on Windows 21H1 in Studio One 5.4, and about 75% won't load in Bitwig 4.0.5  To top it off, they have a real nice looking bug report form on the Waves site that won't allow itself to be filled in.  I am sure the word will get to them, but they really ...... this release.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, locrian said:

I don't understand how an update would affect previously installed/functioning plugins

Since the introduction of v10, Waves Central deletes anything v9 and we have to manually download the whole lot 4GB offline installer and manually install these after performing some tasks in Waves Central. It became PITA now so I'm avoiding changes in my Waves environment and trying not to install any new Waves plugins, but at least I can make it work again that way. It's just an additional annoyance.

33 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Geez- Me too.  None of the plugs work on Windows 21H1 in Studio One 5.4, and about 75% won't load in Bitwig 4.0.5  To top it off, they have a real nice looking bug report form on the Waves site that won't allow itself to be filled in.  I am sure the word will get to them, but they really ...... this release.

Oh good. Misery loves company. I am glad it is not just me then.

I was able to file a bug report using the Contact Tech Support form.

Edited by Doug Rintoul

1 hour ago, locrian said:

That's what I do today.

I have a desktop DAW and a laptop for use as a portable office when I travel. Almost all of my other plugins have at least 2 machine activations per license. I have select audio apps and plugins installed on the laptop. I really like Scheps Omni Channel, and would hate to be without that. But the rest of Waves are replaceable IMO, except for the Abbey Road Collection. And I probably don't really need that on the road.

I just wish Waves would catch up with the rest of the industry as far as licensing goes. I have plenty of USB ports on my DAW, but my laptop only has 3. That kind of limits my peripherals on the laptop, and I would rather not carry a hub just for the Waves flash drive... 🙄

when is the best time to update (biggest sales)  of some waves plugins from older versions?

what is highest percentage coupons available in last years, is it better to wait for black friday or christmas?

looking for when to do it somehow and when is best time

Hard to say about upgrading, but Black Friday sheets good for most plug-in companies.  On waves it depends on what you need. There are other sales that are good. For individual plug-ins the $29 deal with the buy one get one free is really good. Also check you account for personal upgrades. Their plug-in count is not always right jus be careful with those.