Wave V13 is now available

fret_man

8 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

So does that mean that V12 has issues with Windows 11? What did they have to fix to get to Windows 11 compatibility?

Congratulations, you are experiencing the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt that they want you to experience.

If you aren't aware of the term, "FUD" is a common competitive marketing tactic, where one company siezes upon some aspect(s) or other(s) of a competitor's product and uses "weasel words" to try to get consumers to be afraid of trying it. They don't go as far as saying anything definite that will get them in trouble, but they'll say things like "it's anyone's guess whether it will work in your environment, whereas our product is guaranteed to." When of course the other company also has the same guarantee.

Waves are brilliant in being the first consumer software company I've seen who spread FUD about their own products. Although they're by far not the first company to put people in fear of not upgrading or having a valid warranty (witness how much pressure there is when buying electronics to spring for the extended warranty), they're the first "shrink-wrap" software company I've seen do it. They are good at it, I've seen people in this forum getting way bent out of shape that the Waves stuff they bought was going to become "unsupported," as if that would make it suddenly stop working.

The WUP is similar to the "extended warranties" that get pushed hard on you when you buy a laptop (or really anything electronic) from Target or Best Buy. I have fun with the poor salespersons at those stores by asking them, "now wait a minute, are you telling us this model isn't reliable as it is?" It's interesting to watch them shift gears.

To your questions, I am 99.99% sure that the answers are "no," and "nothing." I'd feel safe guaranteeing you that they didn't open the code for every ancient effect all the way down to TrueVerb and SuperTap to fix imaginary issues with Windows 11. As others have mentioned, they'll be weaselly about it if you ask them, but really, a plug-in that runs inside a host that is straight up VERY much optimized for Windows 10 and 11 is going to be one of the safest bets. And as much as they want your WUP money, have we ever heard of a Waves plug-in that was broken by a Windows upgrade?

Are other plug-in companies making a fuss about how they had to fix their stuff to be compatible with Windows 11? None of the ones I use have issued updates for Windows 11. They haven't even mentioned it. Meldaproduction, Plugin Alliance, WAProduction, Arturia, Softube, Eventide, IK Multimedia, Wavesfactory, none of them have implied that my plug-ins from them have or were going to have any issues with Windows 11. It's only the company that charges for bug fixes that's left it in question.😄

Microsoft have a lot invested in being the safe, stable, long-term solution for businesses. The do NOT want their OS to break existing software. I guarantee that there are plenty of enterprises out there who are still running lots and lots of Windows 7 systems because they get the task done and their budgets are allocated elsewhere.

How many times have you had a plug-in stop working due to a version change or update of Windows? For me, it's "never, not once." It has sometimes been the case with me that an update of a DAW has broken compatibility with a plug-in (even with our beloved Cakewalk), and when that happens, maybe Waves will fix it or maybe they'll finger-point and say it's up to the DAW manufacturer to fix it.

What you get for your WUP dollars is reassurance that you'll have whatever features may be added (scalable GUI's was one well-worth-it feature), and that the versions you have will be tested under the latest versions of the DAW's and OSes they test with. I think they also shoot you dupe licenses that are valid for as long as the WUP is, so if you have a secondary system, that might be a good deal.

Waves themselves have a reason for even their "out-of-warranty" stuff not to break with newer versions of Windows: if that ever happened, and they said "tough luck," that would have the effect of making people less likely to invest in their products in the future. This might be balanced by selling more WUP, but maybe not.

All this fuss makes it so that I've never purchased a Waves license in my life, although I did spring for WUP for a couple of freebies that I wanted to have scalable GUI's. The silly WavesHell thing, the inability to uninstall individual plug-ins, it adds up to "meh." As ecosystems go, give me Meldaproduction, iZotope, and Plugin Alliance. IK, too. None of them nickel-and-dime me, they get my money by making great products at fair prices and supporting them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Is there a minihost that can load Waves plugins?
I.E. something lightweight like SaviHost...
Just something to load a plugin so you can check GUI, etc.

Not interested in minihosts that can't load Waves plugins as I already got a number of them...

Apparently there is something called shell2vst that separates the waveshell files into single dll files. You could then use Savihost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Some folks worry about updates getting forced upon them, others worry about not being able to get updates. 😲

Okay, there are some companies that deliver plugins that initially need some fixing (no careful development? 😉).

But as far as I can see with the plugins I have (a lot!):

1. Those ones that have not been updated for a long time
    • are very stable
    • and resource- friendly,
  2. whereas the other ones (recently really! updated)
    • often tend to eat a lot of resources
    • and often introduce new bugs!

Thus you can count me to the first kind of folks! 😆

• Like 2

I’m a wave guy. Those plug-ins are in thousands of pro studios. I have watched many mixed with the masters. If you look close many of the big guys computer screens you will see many have them all. I am against leasing WUPing too, but I like the new plug-ins and try to keep things updated at the lowers possible prices. 

Anyone installed them yet? Any problems with this update?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

I’m a wave guy. Those plug-ins are in thousands of pro studios. I have watched many mixed with the masters. If you look close many of the big guys computer screens you will see many have them all. I am against leasing WUPing too, but I like the new plug-ins and try to keep things updated at the lowers possible prices. 

installed and working here - in most cases the plugin is exactly the same..just the version number has changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

I've updated 21 plugins from v12 to v13 and of those have tested the following and experienced no problems (Win10 v1909 | Cubase 11 Pro | RME UCX):

BSS DPR-402 V13.0.0
    CLA EchoSphere V13.0.0
    EMI TG12345 Channel Strip V13.0.0
    Kramer HLS Channel V13.0.0
    L1 Ultramaximizer V13.0.0
    NLS Non-Linear Summer V13.0.0
    PRS SuperModels V13.0.0
    Scheps Omni Channel V13.0.0
    Vitamin Sonic Enhancer V13.0.0

YMMV.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, simon said:

installed and working here - in most cases the plugin is exactly the same..just the version number has changed.

Same here.

The version 13 plugins that I've tested seem to work exactly the same as when they were merely v12.  As such I'm not going to pay to upgrade any of my v12 plugins not currently eligible for the free update.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, locrian said:

Same here.

The version 13 plugins that I've tested seem to work exactly the same as when they were merely v12.  As such I'm not going to pay to upgrade any of my v12 plugins not currently eligible for the free update.

totally sensible IMO

Only really worth paying to update if you need one of the fixes that are listed or if some new plugins are added to any bundles - and you want them.

For windows users there isn't a huge amount of changes.

• Like 3