Some space music

musekamp

Aaah, I'm just space travelin' here in my Herman Miller chair. Very well done.
One thing about this genre is  it's difficult to create your own unique sound, so I think that's a direction to strive for.
(Just my own opinion)
Thanks for posting.
-Bjorn

Very nice! I like how you keep introducing new elements throughout to keep things interesting, and also how you're occasionally using chromatic chords to give a more ethereal sound. In Cosmic Dust, something to try might be adding some delay to the occasional ear-candy parts to give an even more open/spacious sound. Nothing wrong with how it is now though.

On 10/10/2021 at 6:47 PM, bjornpdx said:

Aaah, I'm just space travelin' here in my Herman Miller chair. Very well done.
One thing about this genre is  it's difficult to create your own unique sound, so I think that's a direction to strive for.
(Just my own opinion)
Thanks for posting.
-Bjorn

Thanks! I get what you're saying: trying to find my own voice seems to be an ongoing quest for me (in any genre).

A challenge I'm finding in ambient pieces is how to structure them without imposing too much form. I guess I need to keep listening and learning. Luckily I'm retired now so I've got more time for it!

On 10/11/2021 at 12:44 PM, antler said:

Very nice! I like how you keep introducing new elements throughout to keep things interesting, and also how you're occasionally using chromatic chords to give a more ethereal sound. In Cosmic Dust, something to try might be adding some delay to the occasional ear-candy parts to give an even more open/spacious sound. Nothing wrong with how it is now though.

Thanks for the comments! I've been studying chromatic harmony this year so I'm trying to find places to use some of the ideas I've learned.

I like the idea of bringing in more delay strategically to highlight certain things. I'll have to listen with that in mind.

On 10/14/2021 at 7:36 PM, jwnicholson78 said:

Very relaxing.   I could see myself meditating while listening to this. 

Curious what synths you used. 

Thanks!

The synths are AAS Ultra Analog, Alchemy and Rapture. For the orchestral instruments, I'm using Nucleus and various Spitfire Originals.

This is pleasantly relaxing as noted by Bjorn it is tricky. I had a friend who sold smelly candles at psychic fairs, lots of CD's on sale with very similar sounding music.

It has been nicely captured though and would be cool to meditate or just chill out to.  

On 10/19/2021 at 7:07 AM, Wookiee said:

This is pleasantly relaxing as noted by Bjorn it is tricky. I had a friend who sold smelly candles at psychic fairs, lots of CD's on sale with very similar sounding music.

It has been nicely captured though and would be cool to meditate or just chill out to.  

Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah, I've been finding a lot of "space / sleep" music on Spotify. I guess quite a few people are working in this area. I've always been a fan of music that is chill in some fashion, and I like the outer space aspect.

Smelly candles :) 

• 2 weeks later...

"Cosmic Dust" is great. I listened on pretty decent headphones, and kudos, you are not afraid to throw a lot of real bass frequencies in there! But it's not eating up mix energy from the highs, they come through quite clear. Curious, what is your monitoring setup, do you mix with a subwoofer?

Super chill, great for space yoga. Nice!

cheers,

-Tom

On 10/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

"Cosmic Dust" is great. I listened on pretty decent headphones, and kudos, you are not afraid to throw a lot of real bass frequencies in there! But it's not eating up mix energy from the highs, they come through quite clear. Curious, what is your monitoring setup, do you mix with a subwoofer?

Super chill, great for space yoga. Nice!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks for listening! I do everything using my ATH M50s headphones. I don't know much about mixing so I just do it as I go. And then run it through Ozone when I think I'm finished.

"Space yoga" makes me picture a bunch of people floating around in zero gee trying to get into a lotus position!