Bug report with freeze track and insert time/measure.

Master2230

Hi,

I found a bug related with freeze track feature.

How to reproduce (Also see the video attached)
1. Freeze an audio track.
2. Insert some measures or time before freezed audio file.
3. Un-freeze the track.
4. The original audio file didn't move and stays where it was.

This bug doesn't happen with an instrument track and happens in the newest cakewalk (Windows10 64bit Version 2021.09 Build 145).

Thanks,

Edited by Master2230

This is to be expected.   Freeze track is meant to temporarily free up CPU resources, and any operations on the frozen clip will not be reflected in the unfrozen version.

There are two ways to get around this:

1. Use Bounce to Clip(s) instead of freeze

2. Once you've frozen your clip, copy it to another track then unfreeze the original

• Like 1

To me the whole idea of "freezing" is to hold the track "as-is" so "nothing " will change it and to free up resources.

The online documentation is helpful, but to understand... freezing a track is the same as bouncing a clip but affects the entire track, not just a clip in the track???

16 hours ago, msmcleod said:

This is to be expected.   Freeze track is meant to temporarily free up CPU resources, and any operations on the frozen clip will not be reflected in the unfrozen version.

I understood the idea, then why the instrument track is different?
I checked with an instrument track and the unfrozen clip also moves when I insert measures.

Edited by Master2230

2 hours ago, Master2230 said:

I understood the idea, then why the instrument track is different?
I checked with an instrument track and the unfrozen clip also moves when I insert measures.

The instrument track is different because there's actually two tracks involved.   

Basically what happens when you freeze an audio track, is that it takes a backup copy of the current audio clips and replaces it with the frozen audio.
Any insert time operation is then performed on the frozen audio, but the backup copy remains intact.
When you unfreeze, the backup copy is restored.

Instrument tracks have two tracks - an audio track, and a MIDI track. 

When an instrument track isn't frozen, it has an empty audio track and you see the MIDI track part in the clips view.
When you freeze a MIDI instrument, all it does is bounce it down, fill the audio track up with the frozen audio, and show the Audio track part in the clips view.
When you unfreeze, the frozen audio is replaced by the original audio (i.e. nothing), and it goes back to showing the MIDI track part.

As the MIDI part isn't a backup copy, it's still affected by insert time.

• Like 1