Getting already edited status[*] when just open a project

HIBI

Lately, only one of my projects is weird. When I just open that project, it gets already edited status like "project_name.cwp*" for some reason. It seems there is no problem because I can play and edit the project and also can't find any changed parameters in plugins. But getting already edited status only by opening... Anything I’m missing?
What happened to this project? I'm wondering it has any issues? If so, is there a way to find it?

I've seen this before... is it because it's replaced a VST2 plugin with a VST3 one? - i.e. you've got "Replace if Possible on Project Load" checked within the VST 3 Migration section under Preferences/VST Settings?

It may be one or more plug-ins. Could be effects, synths  or both. Bypassing FX is a high level approach for effects. This may be done globally or per FX rack. Archiving synth tracks may be done one at a time to see if they are the issue.

Thanks @scook
Bypassed all FX and saved as and then opened it but result was same.
I will try archiving synth tracks and start checking with project which is all plugins are deleted then add per plugin, if I have a lot of time...

I just started noticing this yesterday, on a current project.  No history to undo - it shows modified as soon as it finishes opening the project.  Quite odd. 

Disclaimer - this next part is a little stretched, but they DO do this:  I always keep an eye out for any changes, because the cats seem to time their typing lessons to occur during my project time (they randomly either jump up from the floor onto the computer keyboard or jump up on the desktop, which sits to the side, and then walk across my midi controller to spell out something interesting by walking on the computer keyboard keys).  The scariest part is that they are CONSTANTLY sneaking in all manner of keyboard shortcuts, to where I have to guess at what they changed.

I did finally grasp what they have been trying to spell - something like "Will wurke phor fud"...hee hee

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
Edited to add a missing closing parenthesis.

Having seen this myself, I've come to the conclusion that @scook is more than likely right on this one.

When a VST get's its settings restored by Cakewalk, depending on the VST and what settings have been set, it could result in the VST sending a notification back to Cakewalk saying that it's settings have been changed.

The type of thing I'm talking about is, say a particular option wasn't enabled unless some other setting was set. Setting said option would then enable the other option and set it to its default value, before Cakewalk then sets it to the one you'd originally saved it with... so it thinks it has changed.

This would result in Cakewalk marking the project as changed (as it's been told it has by the VST), hence the *.

I suspect you could probably narrow it down to a particular VST / setting combination that would have the same result every time, but I don't think its anything to worry about.

Edited by msmcleod

37 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

When a VST get's its settings restored by Cakewalk, depending on the VST and what settings have been set, it could result in the VST sending a notification back to Cakewalk saying that it's settings have been changed.

I suppose that could do it but the issue I was thinking about was automation internal to the plug-in such as an LFO modifying some parameter(s) and the plug-in telling the host about the change. I recall this being an issue in the past. The plug-in should not be sending out this information and Noel has made adjustments in the past to address this but apparently there is no foolproof way to discriminate between this type of chatter and real plug-in change messages.

Another case I have first hand experience with is Softube Modular. Simply opening the plug-in UI causes Modular to tell the host it has changed.

41 minutes ago, scook said:

Another case I have first hand experience with is Softube Modular. Simply opening the plug-in UI causes Modular to tell the host it has changed.

Yeah, I've noticed that if you save a project where some VSTi's UI is open, it will tell Cakewalk it's changed.

This is certainly true for VG-SILK, which I have loaded via JBridge (otherwise it crackles & pops at any sensible buffer size).

If the UI isn't showing on project load, it's fine.

I think I can find it easily if there is a plugin that's only used in the project which has this problem. But all plugins are also used in my other projects and they don't have this problem.
I guess needs a lot of time and motivation to find it... but now... *sigh*

Edited by HIBI

Well, since I knew I hadn't really changed anything, I saved the project that had shown up as modified upon project open, and then closed Cakewalk and relaunched it for the same project - sure enough, it again shows up as instantly modified - no plugin UI's were left open, and this is new behavior.

Bob Bone

10 hours ago, HIBI said:

I think I can find it easily if there is a plugin that's only used in the project which has this problem. But all plugins are also used in my other projects and they don't have this problem.
I guess needs a lot of time and motivation to find it... but now... *sigh*

Send me a link to the project file and I'll see if it gets modified for me. BTW make sure you are running the latest release version since there was a bug fixed in the last release relating to this.

14 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Send me a link to the project file and I'll see if it gets modified for me. BTW make sure you are running the latest release version since there was a bug fixed in the last release relating to this.

Well... I did check some other projects. There is same problem... WTF!?
I will DM to you and send a simple project. FYI: Cakewalk is latest version.

I have this edited status * everyday in almost every project I open. If you use control surfaces or any MIDI controller, some of them tend to send random signal to cakewalk. In my case, it's either Peavey Cakewalk StudioMix (well known for it's MIDI jitter bug), or AKAI LPD, or Keystation 88. Nothing appears in the undo list, but it triggers edit status as soon as I open or save the project.

One thing you can try just for the heck of it to see what happens is highlight every single track and plugin etc in the entire session and create a template out of all of it, open a blank new session and load that template, save it, close and reopen and see if it does it still. That *may* at least tell you if it was something within the session causing it or if the session itself got wonky which happens to me occasionally and that template trick is how I've sorted it out before. ymmv