Mixing with a limiter because headphones are too low

Ewoof

Question

8 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, Ewoof Music said:

Hey guys, 

I recently got the dt990 pros  and they sound really quiet due to the high 250 impedance. Do you think I should use a limiter to increase the volume or should I use the volume fader in the DAW? 

Are you using an external interface or the PC's sound card?

7 minutes ago, Ewoof Music said:

Yes I am. I am using the ssl 2+. It is known not to have a high volume

Nice interface indeed. Make sure your levels are set correctly in Cakewalk. If your master meter does not show audio in the at least-12db or upwards range, you may need to gain stage so that you have enough volume coming out of cakewalk into your interface.

Headphone output impedance for your interface is 10 ohm with a recommended load/headphone input impedance of 80 ohm derived from a recommended ratio of 8:1. Likely, as you noted, your problem is that the headphones are under-driven by the source. Interposing a headphone amplifier to boost the signal to the phones would likely be the best option if you want to maintain fidelity. Or getting phones with less impedance. You will probably have your interface cranked up to maximum volume already. Increasing the digital signal coming into the interface will give you limited benefit.

https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009315238-Headphones-impedance

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/

Edited by slartabartfast
additional reference

I would choose a proper set of headphones that have the correct impedance. So now your spending another $ 100 on a headphone amp?? seems like penny wise pound foolish to me. Lots of great headphones available on Amazon and most are not that expensive if you do a little reading of reviews. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1