Digital whammy bar.

Shane_B.

Cool bit of kit for sure.

Only downside for me would be the 3M type adhesive pads and whether removing the base would affect the finish of the guitar.

Assuming the whammy unit itself doesn't interact directly with the string vibrations (i.e. I'm guessing its positioning directly behind the bridge is for familiarity), why not glue it onto the scratch plate (if the guitar has one).

If these become popular enough, and assuming players prefer them placed at/in the bridge as per mechanical units, it would surely be worthwhile the investment from them to sell guitar-specific attachments which could maybe share the bridge-fixing screws?

Edited by SteveStrummerUK
  • Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Cool bit of kit for sure.

Only downside for me would be the 3M type adhesive pads and whether removing the base would affect the finish of the guitar.

Assuming the whammy unit itself doesn't interact directly with the string vibrations (i.e. I'm guessing its positioning directly behind the bridge is for familiarity), why not glue it onto the scratch plate (if the guitar has one).

If these become popular enough, and assuming players prefer them placed at/in the bridge as per mechanical units, it would surely be worthwhile the investment from them to sell guitar-specific attachments which could maybe share the bridge-fixing screws?

One concern that popped in to my mind was I would be afraid I'd pull it off the guitar. I'm so used to the tension of a real bar I feel like I would probably break it. And yes, I was wondering how it would effect the finish too.

With all the software innovation now days I can't imagine it would be too hard to isolate the effects of this to the B and E strings to emulate a steel guitar. I'm working on a very old band demo my band and I did back in the early 90's. It's from a Tascam 8 track tape transfer. We mixed down the backup vocals on to a single track. Melodyne is detecting the two vocals on the single track and letting me pitch correct each vocal separately. I would think they could do something like that with this in real time.

I saw an interview with Joni Mitchell one time and she said she used something on stage to alter tunings real time. Can't remember if it was hardware or software based.