Can no longer add plugins or adjust buffer size in newest version

THE JimmiChanga

Am I just having a brain dead moment or am I onto something. I've been using cakewalk for around 2 months now and all the versions I see on youtube are entirely different then the version I'm currently using. This makes tutorial videos absolutely worthless at this point. There's no longer an extensive preference tab that you can pull up to adjust buffer size and sample rate, just a "latency test" which is complete garbage. I also cannot for the life of me find a way to load any plugins, so what the point of evening having a direct in option to record on guitar if you cant even load any amp sims, effects, tool, etc? Unless I'm missing something, it seems like this new version has completely steered away from artists who want to record guitar and create a song around it unless you're recording via mic'd up amp. Even then it's a toss up because latency and audio dropouts can be a problem seeing how there's 0 customization to dial in the latency. It's frustrating because otherwise it's an extremely easy DAW to start creating with minimal growing pains.

With the exception of adding a few more options, visually the preference screen has not changed since the first release.

If documented features are not visible, it may be your workspace setting.

If workspaces is set to None and the FX racks are not visible, it could be the Track Control drop down setting

jPDbCPI.png

Yeah, mine looks nothing like that. I am using the free version, though I see other's using the free version and it looks nothing like mine. I actually was referred to the free version of cakewalk from a video/tutorial series I watched on youtube of a guy using the free version. I just assumed they updated it and thought nothing more of it. But here I am two months later and the lack of features is starting to really get to me, and not being able to adjust buffer/sample is making it almost unuseable for me on larger tracks. I'm running a focusrite solo gen 3 as well as an 8 core cpu w/ 16gb of ddr4 3200mhz ram so I know its not my system. Is the free version just a no go these days for plugins and latency?

There is no paid version of CbB.

Hopefully you are not confusing BandLab the web-based DAW with Cakewalk by BandLab the Windows DAW program.

What version are you running.

Maybe posting an image of what you are seeing or a link to the youtube video may help.

You looking in the wrong place.

The company that made SONAR is no more but their website is still running for users who already own the products.

BandLab purchased the Cakewalk IP from Gibson and with a couple of the staff from the old company created a new free product called Cakewalk by BandLab.

To install Cakewalk by BandLab download and run the new Cakewalk Web Installer.

7 minutes ago, THE JimmiChanga said:

Then I'm missing something completely because this is the only version from SONAR that's free. Everything else costs money. 

As I mentioned above, the image in your post is a different DAW.

BandLab (the company) offers two free DAWs

• BandLab - this is the one in your image above
  • Cakewalk by BandLab - this is the Windows-based DAW developed from the SONAR sources.

Thanks man. Yeah it seems as if once SONAR went out, that they started pushing the web based version. This desktop version is damn near buried. I appreciate it because I was about to jump back to pro tools 1st, though it was killing me inside. I do love how easy and intuitive cakewalk is. Free time is a hot commodity so the more time I can flex my creativity and the less I have to spend navigating tedious things on some of these larger DAWs the better.

There is no direct download of CbB. Never has been.

The Cakewalk by BandLab website provides a link to BandLab Assistant.

BandLab Assistant runs BandLab (the DAW) from the top icon in the Apps tab and installs Cakewalk by BandLab using the install button below the second image in the Apps tab (this is documented here).

Had you selected the install button below the second image we would not be having this discussion.

That said, BandLab Assistant for installing and updating CbB is being phased out in favor of the Cakewalk Web Installer and in-app updating from the CbB help menu.

• Like 3