Clip gain automation doesn't work [SOLVED]

Eric Woodring

Hi all, 

I've been messing with Cakewalk for about 6 months now. Really awesome software for being free. All the YouTube and forum help has been top notch in getting me recording stuff, but now I've run into something that's supposed to be pretty straight forward, but isn't working the way its shown to be.

I'm having an issue with adjusting the gain of a clip in a track. I have a section of the track split and was successful with adding audio effects to the clip. Now I'd like to adjust the volume or gain of this section. I've tried the "Clip Automation/Gain" route where it brings the red line in and you click and drag to the desired gain/cut you want. When I listen back it doesn't change the level at all. Then I seen where you can highlight the clip and do the "Process/Apply effect/Gain", which I tried, but this too didn't change the level of the track. Both methods change the size of the waveform relative to the waves on either side of it, but nothing happens to the actual volume of the clip. What am I missing??

It works here, 

Here is a recent track where I used it on the guitars - most of the clips need to go down slightly in the mix apart from one near the end that had to come up

It sounds like you are doing the right thing..split the cips..Ctrl-drag the red line up and down. Not sure why you are are not hearing the level changes 

Unless you are adding FX that are bringing the level back up ? Compression, limiting etc  ? Try bypassing all the FX and listening again (blue FX button on tool bar ) and see if the changes are more obvious without the downstream FX ? 

image.thumb.png.475c856c656d7c7553539248f298abd8.png

2 minutes ago, Eric Woodring said:

image.thumb.png.2c31c365d723185165ca54ba5ed2f062.png

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I thought it'd email me when I got a reply.

This is the 2 effects added to this clip.  The "R" is selected. I don't know about a "region fx", There is no other extra effects on the track besides what the TH3 is doing.

I don't see any clip gain automation on that clip.

This is how you add it:

clip_gain_adjust_without_mods.gif

It looks as though you do have FX assigned to the clip - (  this is likely prohibiting clip gain offsets or automation?  Mark - Can you correct me if I'm wrong about this  ) - Right click in the small upper right  FX box in the clip and disable or remove the effect that is assigned. Sounds as if you did not intend to apply any FX there.

Edited by RBH

Sorry, took that shot before the Clip Automation, I did it like you showed.

OK, so I went back and did the Clip Automation again, this time i dropped the level as far as it would go, which was -IFN, It worked! So I guess because the gain is already so high, the most gain it'll do is 6dB, which really doesn't sound much louder than the base gain. I'd have thought 6dB should have been a lot louder than it is, but its not as much as I want to punch that part up to.  

So now.....huh, can I boost it 6dB, save it, then reClip Automate again? to raise it up more? Is that a thing?

11 minutes ago, RBH said:

It looks as though you do have FX assigned to the clip - (  this is likely prohibiting clip gain offsets or automation?  Mark - Can you correct me if I'm wrong about this  ) - Right click in the small upper right  FX box in the clip and disable or remove the effect that is assigned. Sounds as if you did not intend to apply any FX there.

FX doesn't change clip gain automation, as the FX comes AFTER the clip gain.

Active Region FX  however (e.g. Melodyne)  bypasses clip gain 

• msmcleod changed the title to Clip gain automation doesn't work [SOLVED]

Download either the Win 64 VST, Win 64 VST3 or both (although you really don't need both formats).

The download links are on the right side of the page linked above.

Run the file(s) (they are exe installers).

The installers will ask where to put plug-ins.

The VST2 plug-ins can go anywhere but Cakewalk defaults to looking in "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins".

I like to create manufacturer folders under "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins" so I created "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VSTplugins\Blue Cat" and told the installer to use that folder.

VST3 plug-ins should always go into "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3".

If the installer permits it (and Blue Cat does) I add a folder for the manufacturer. So the VST3 Blue Cat plug-ins are in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Blue Cat"

By default, Cakewalk will automatically pick up the plug-ins if they are installed in the scan path.

I got the VST3 version, works great. Doesn't really help my situation as the gain module only maxes the clip gain out to 6dB (same as the Clip Automation function) no matter how high the gain knob level is turned up. I ended up just copying the clip to another channel to double up that part. That also gave it a bit fuller sound, too. I'll have to start recording at a lower level to allow more range of gain adjustment in the future.

Thanks again for all the help!