Importing Audio deleted MIDI data on unrelated track

Bruce Olsen

Question

On 2021.09 This has worked before so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't spot it.

I'm writing a drum part to go with reference audio track.  After completing some of the MIDI I received an updated audio track with arrangement changes, etc.

But: I can't seem to find a way to import it without wiping out my MIDI content. Drag/drop onto existing track, adding new track, whatever I do, my MIDI track gets blanked. 

At one point I had the Now Time pointing a few bars into the project, and the audio import did not blank out anything to the left of the Now Time. So I tried importing past the end of my MIDI data and moving the audio left where it belonged--but this blanked out the MIDI as well.

I also had trouble duplicating the MIDI data with copy special and paste special. After completing 1 verse/chorus, I tried to copy/paste the MIDI for them later into the song (I tried on the PRV and the track view). But this affected the audio track, either by blanking out the audio, or moving the audio  over a bar to the right, or moving the audio past the end of the inserted MIDI.

The Arranger Track sections are getting all messed up as well, especially y the copy, even though I'm not copying anything but note evenys (I don't use automation or anything else-this is dead simple MIDI).

Can anyone suggest some setting I may have missed? TIA

I don't have enough hair for this 😞

Edited by Bruce Olsen

9 answers to this question

Are you saying that track A is a midi track and track B is an audio track. 
You update the audio track B by deleting the original audio and drag and drop new audio to this track(B) and the midi track A the data disappeared?  
Is it further down the timeline or just gone? 
is ripple editing on? 

Edited by John Vere

On 10/8/2021 at 7:36 AM, treesha said:

Weird. No ideas about why this is happening but a suggestion- i would try archiving the midi track to import the audio then un-archive it and see if that preserved it. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried locking the audio track's content and position when I copied the MIDI, but the audio track was still chopped up. I'll give this a try.

[Ripple editing was the problem]

Edited by Bruce Olsen
Solved

14 hours ago, John Vere said:

Are you saying that track A is a midi track and track B is an audio track. 
You update the audio track B by deleting the original audio and drag and drop new audio to this track(B) and the midi track A the data disappeared?  
Is it further down the timeline or just gone? 
is ripple editing on? 

Ten thousand thanks: "Ripple Edit All" was checked! I never use it intentionally, but I must have set it on somehow.

I pasted some MIDI (in track 1) and  the audio was displaced to the right after a MIDI paste. It's in track 23--way down off the screen--and the intervening tracks are currently empty so I didn't notice until it it was too late.

At least once I locked the audio track before pasting and that didn't seem to make a difference. 

Anyway, I really can't thank you enough!

Edited by Bruce Olsen
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, reginaldStjohn said:

Check that the midi isn't just hiding in a take lane.  Can't see why this would happen but is just a thought.  Can you make a video showing it happening?

Thanks for the input, and I checked, but ripple editing was the culprit