IK 25th Anniversary Group Buy (Continued)

marlowg01

7 hours ago, kevin H said:

Just picked all my freebies.  That was exhausting heheh. I did find I had forgotten to pick about 4 sample tank instruments I thought I already picked.

Did that first thing this morning...about 25 total...so I now have doubles of just about every "single" offering...LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

Just when you thought picking them was exhausting, just think of how long downloading will take. 
And you’ll have to do it within 180 days, mind ya. 

Just the sounds have a time limit. The programs themselves are always available.

• Like 2

Was reviewing earlier in this thread regarding discussion about Behringer ECM 8000 between @NOLAGuy and @Max Arwood

I bought ARC which came with the newer MEMS mic last year so was able to get a transfer license and then downloaded a new ARC license for myself in the promo. 

I bought the $28 Behringer ECM 8000 from Sweetwater so the person I'm donating my license to doesn't need to buy a mic. I'm trying decide if I should give the IK MEMS mic along with my old license just to make sure I'm not going to mess up their calibration or is the ECM 8000 good enough (non-pro user)?

Read some of the threads linked - it looks like the ECM 8000 can be used with ARC to get good room correction without a generic calibration file. Any comments on this very welcome. 

Edited by Doug Steinschneider

@Doug Steinschneider  probably very few are still browing this IK related thread, so you may not get responses, but here's my take...

I used the Behringer ECM 8000 with IK ARC for an initial equalization test run to try out the ARC product. In general, to get the full benefit of the ARC equalization is a lot of work, and the end result of the process didn't really seem to make any significant difference to my hearing, yet eating up a lot of CPU in projects using those results.

Without doing an A-B comparison of the Behringer vs IKM mikes, which may require some type of equaliztion analyzer, and likely not any audible differences, I would say using the Behringer would not be an issue, except perhaps to a "purist".

The ARC product  is something I've put aside for potential future use if I reach the point of caring about the fine nuances of sound in my listening environment. For the time being, I'm just focused on making changes to my projects to keep the sound I like similar across CD, streaming, phone and automobile/PC speaker playback situations and maybe trying out the several plugins I see in ads that make that process much easier.

• Thanks 1

On 12/2/2021 at 7:46 PM, NOLAGuy said:

@Doug Steinschneider  probably very few are still browing this IK related thread, so you may not get responses, but here's my take...

I used the Behringer ECM 8000 with IK ARC for an initial equalization test run to try out the ARC product. In general, to get the full benefit of the ARC equalization is a lot of work, and the end result of the process didn't really seem to make any significant difference to my hearing, yet eating up a lot of CPU in projects using those results.

Without doing an A-B comparison of the Behringer vs IKM mikes, which may require some type of equaliztion analyzer, and likely not any audible differences, I would say using the Behringer would not be an issue, except perhaps to a "purist".

The ARC product  is something I've put aside for potential future use if I reach the point of caring about the fine nuances of sound in my listening environment. For the time being, I'm just focused on making changes to my projects to keep the sound I like similar across CD, streaming, phone and automobile/PC speaker playback situations and maybe trying out the several plugins I see in ads that make that process much easier.

My mixing desk is in the corner of a 15 x 15 room (yes - I need figure how to fit a drum set, keyboard rig, bass amp, guitar amp and couch into a more intelligent setup). ARC helped me correct a big room bump in low frequency (speaker closest to corner was +6db at 100Hz) that continued on a downward slope from there until 2K. You gave me the idea to simply use the ECM 8000 - see how close the correction is to the ARC. If it's in the ballpark I donate the ECM 8000 along with the software.  Thanks!

Edited by Doug Steinschneider

On 12/3/2021 at 12:46 AM, NOLAGuy said:

I guess you've been lucky with your room. I've used ARC 2.0 since it came out, and for me it's made a massive difference.  Mixes done before I got ARC had no bass whatsoever, and hyped frequencies in the upper mids.  ARC has sorted all of that out for me.

@Doug Steinschneider - the only thing I can recommend is to try it.  It is completely dependent on your room/speakers, and everyone will get different results.  One thing having ARC has done, is enable me to experiment with different placements of my speakers so I can get closer to a flat response. 

You may also want to check out Sonarworks - again whether ARC or Sonarworks works better will depend on your room/speakers.

3 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I used mine for extra copies of Syntronic libraries.

I thought about doing this, but I don't understand why one might need multiple copies.  Is it to extend the number of authorizations for replacement computers over the years? To get downloads you forgot to save in the first place?  

1 minute ago, User 905133 said:

I thought about doing this, but I don't understand why one might need multiple copies.  Is it to extend the number of authorizations for replacement computers over the years? To get downloads you forgot to save in the first place?  

That's about it. I have multiple licenses of just about everything IK. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies; the reasoning makes sense.  With TS2MAX I opted for the usb drive because the forum buzz was that downloads took a long time (slow server + huge GBs worth of stuff IIRC); plus, I am sure I downloaded everything "just in case." Nevertheless shortly after kitekrazy's reply, I decided rather than just let them rot in cyberspace, I'd select some triplicates of different things. 

Hindsight is 20-20 and I decided a week or so ago that rather to pay $250 to upgrade to TS3.5MAX for 90-95% duplicates, I'd prefer to add music products to my software arsenal from other companies--great deals based on already purchased products and in one case getting a nice credit in exchange for duplicates on top of the BF special offer!!

Now that Syntronik 2 is out, I am not sure its worth $40 in transfer fees to transfer Syntronik (sell or give away) + the Syntronik Deluxe Upgrade (the ones I paid for).  But who knows, maybe someone will be giving away Win 10 PCs for a song and a dance in a few years and some extra licenses will come in handy to set up dedicated Syntronik boxes.  😜  Seriously, before the pandemic I was working on setting up an outdoor music installation with possible interactions by passersby; so if it ever becomes safe again, low cost disposable PCs + no cost Syntronik licenses might be the way to go.

As for the IK GB, I am now done!!  🤓

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 7:06 AM, msmcleod said:

the only thing I can recommend is to try it.  It is completely dependent on your room/speakers, and everyone will get different results.  One thing having ARC has done, is enable me to experiment with different placements of my speakers so I can get closer to a flat response. 

I followed your suggestion - it did pay off to move my desk just a little more away from the corner. BTW, I notice my curve may not be that unusual. I'm following a Mixbus tutorial by Vince Mazzocchi who uses Sonarworks. His curve is similar to mine with the large bump around 100k