IK 25th Anniversary Group Buy (Continued)

marlowg01

7 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

True, but I feel like I can't make an full blown rig with it in standalone (on a machine that is older but still capable in most respects) and run it at the latency I want either.  

Well then, the pragmatic solutions are, in no particular order: (a) to fall back to your previous amp sim, (b) get a higher powered computer, or (c) work with IK support and wait for IK to (hopefully) revise ST5 to be more efficient.

14 hours ago, abacab said:

This is not going to be a popular opinion, but  a reasonably current state of the art computer might be required to run the latest gen virtual instruments and effects.

While this may be true in some instances; I am running the latest AT 5 on a nearly 15 year old Intel i7 920 @ 2.6 Ghz with 12 GB of Ram.  AT  5 stand alone loads in about 20 seconds here.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Grem said:

So I think we have pretty much determined that the problem with the new update to AT 5 is system specific.  

For AT5 taking very long to load on some system: yes!

For AT5 5.1.0 taking double the CPU than 5.0.3 when running: nope

Edit: I am not saying that it couldn't be system specific, I don't have enough data, but many post show the increase in CPU usage when running is  independent of the power of the machine.

Edited by Jacques Boileau
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2021 at 10:09 AM, cclarry said:

Correct...

Transfer fee is $19.99 and you have to buy a Transfer "Credit" in the Credits section.  This will allow you to transfer
any ONE license that is transferable.  Be mindful that "Transfers" have a limited number, and sometimes you'll get the
Message "Transfer Limit has been reached", in which case you'll have to contact support to have the limit reset.

I transferred B-3X and Miroslave Harmonik that I purchased a few years ago to my nephew. When I bought a third transfer it won't let me use it to transfer ARC to him. Of  course with 24K new sales support must be overwhelmed so I'm not getting a response to my request to reset the limit. 

Question: I can't use the promo for ARC software only but I can choose the ARC crossgrade. I guess in the end the license I get is the same so I should just choose the crossgrade from the Promo drop down for one of my slots?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

Question: I can't use the promo for ARC software only but I can choose the ARC crossgrade. I guess in the end the license I get is the same so I should just choose the crossgrade from the Promo drop down for one of my slots?

e-mail I sent to IK Support 2 weeks ago:

I have a question about something else: the ARC System 3.  I do not yet have a MEMS Mic, but was planning to get the software now for one of my promotional slots and pick up the mic another time.  But there are two things listed as available: ARC System 3 (software only) and ARC System 3 Crossgrade (software only). Is there a difference between the two? Or would either one work for my plans?

reply I got in response:

They are the same software.

A Crossgrade is simply a discounted price for users who own another qualifying IK product already. Its not an upgrade, as it does not require a previous version of the same earlier product version, as normally one would find with an upgrade offer. To qualify for a Crossgrade to another product, you must be registered with a paid version of another IK Multimedia product over $/€ 99 or higher. This allows for any IK user to expand into our wide range of music creation tools.

I cannot speak for IK, but this is what they told me.

1 hour ago, Jesse Screed said:

While this may be true in some instances; I am running the latest AT 5 on a nearly 15 year old Intel i7 920 @ 2.6 Ghz with 12 GB of Ram.  AT  5 stand alone loads in about 20 seconds here.

I think that is great! But can you run the AT5 plugin on multiple guitar tracks in your DAW?

I think that I mentioned that the standalone is a single instance, and usually runs fine on the average computer in regards to CPU usage.

Someone had previously complained about load times, but that was a secondary issue. The CPU usage is what was affecting the per track AT5 plugin use.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Grem said:

So I think we have pretty much determined that the problem with the new update to AT 5 is system specific.  

The problem does not appear very often with using standalone. Most problems are with multiple instances of the per track AT5 plugin that add up quickly to an unstable load. And yes, that load limit would be system specific!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, abacab said:

The problem does not appear very often with using standalone. Most problems are with multiple instances of the per track AT5 plugin that add up quickly to an unstable load. And yes, that load limit would be system specific!

I just caught up on this  thread. I want to comment on the AT5 loading time. I noticed a few seconds more load time after one of the 5.xx upgrades - not sure which one. 

Question - do you have AmpltiTube installed on a solid state drive (SSD)? If not you really should clone your spinner to an SSD using the free Macrium Reflect. I know that's a brute force fix but that upgrade (plus maxing out the memory to 16GB) allows me to use a 2012 i5-2400 (3.10 Ghz) Dell Optiplex 790 for music - not as snappy as a new machine but not painfully slow. 

33 minutes ago, abacab said:

I think that is great! But can you run the AT5 plugin on multiple guitar tracks in your DAW?

Point taken, I was chiming in concerning Kenny's 15 minute load time, and Steve's mention that it take very long to load on his Super Duper Jim Roseberry machine.

I will let you know how it fares with multiple instances in my DAW on the machine, but that will have to wait until later because right now I am milking the cow.

23 minutes ago, Jesse Screed said:

Point taken, I was chiming in concerning Kenny's 15 minute load time, and Steve's mention that it take very long to load on his Super Duper Jim Roseberry machine.

I will let you know how it fares with multiple instances in my DAW on the machine, but that will have to wait until later because right now I am milking the cow.

Thanks! I am just trying to shadow along with Jacques' attempt to get this plugin CPU hit issue reported in a concise, factual way to IK support. The better the data, the more likely IK  will be able to reproduce it on their end. I ran some of Jacques' performance tests in an effort to reproduce the data he saw. Even thought I am not having any issues here on a fairly new build, I did observe the same percentage increase in CPU hit per AT5 plugin. So just trying to help.

My point is, if IK gets mixed signals about it working just fine for some users, but terrible for some others, they might assume it is just a user issue. When the working fine part may actually be related to the standalone use case vs. a multi-track, AT5 plugin per guitar track, use case.

Regarding startup time, not seeing that either. Only a couple folks reported that here. I am sure there could be local system related issues driving that one, such as a slow spinning hard drive, RAM memory being paged to HDD, security software scanning, etc. The load time is only seconds for me on an SSD based PC, with maybe a couple seconds longer than in the past.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, abacab said:

I think that I mentioned that the standalone is a single instance, and usually runs fine on the average computer in regards to CPU usage.

Someone had previously complained about load times, but that was a secondary issue. The CPU usage is what was affecting the per track AT5 plugin use.

OK, the cow is milked, and here are the results of my test with multiple instances in my DAW.  First the particulars, which may be pertinent.

Intel i7 Core 920 @ 2.6

12 GB Ram

Win 7

Sonar Platinum

Cakewalk VS 100 interface

AT 5 version 5.2.0

I do have a different machine that is only 7 years old, but that is at a different location so can't test on that one.

I do not have the X Gear pedals....yet, but they do show up in the collections tab, they're locked.

I am not connected to the internet.

Open new Basic Project

Insert instance of Jamstix with a big kit

Insert Instance d SI Bass, set to play a loop

Add Audio track, and insert AT5 into effects bin, it took 40 seconds to load.

Duplicate track 3 times, it duplicated in less than 1 second, so now I have 4 instances of AT5 loaded. 

Then, just to check, I added new audio track, and inserted a new instance of AT5, it took 6 seconds to load. Now I have 5 instances of AT5.

Recorded guitar onto each track, using a different  amp, and stomps on each one.  I recorded without a hiccup.

CPU usage around 50%, but maybe that is because the CPU is 15 years old? and Ram usage around 5 GB on playback 24%.

Then load ST 3, which has to rebuild the database, and takes 2 minutes to do that...aaargh

Load in 24 violins patch,  record audio to track, all goes well.

With Splat project still open, I decide to open AT5 in standalone mode.  It took 20 seconds to load in stand alone mode.

So that's that, I hope this is what you meant when you asked about multiple instances of AT 5 in my Daw.  I feel your pain if you people are having issues.  Maybe a cutting edge computer isn't what you need afterall /s😀

Peace

Edited by Jesse Screed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On a more critical vibe : just tried modo drum , b3 and watching sampletron video s ...

Modo drum is exellent , really !!

B3 : not a fan of organ in general , 

But for all : STILL NO NEXT / PREVIOUS presets arrows ? Really ? sold synthronik for that , not using sample tank for that can't believe it's still not there ......

Ik should really adress this , sometime producer don't have time to pre produce , sound design ect ...when inpsiration hits we just want to find out the next insopiring sound , presets are cool for that starting point , having to open a windows each time ? really !!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 10/22/2021 at 8:06 AM, abacab said:

Plus $12.99 for IK ground shipping...

I priced the Dayton EMM-6 at Amazon $67.57. It's free shipping, but a few bucks more than the Mems from IK at $61 with Jammies and shipping. https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/911/emm-6-electret-measurement-microphone

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-EMM-6-Measurement-Microphone/dp/B002KI8X40#

I decided to buy the Behringer MEMS mike, which has a $100 MSRP, but Sweetwater offering on a special sale for $29 and free shipping plus their 2-yr warranty. It was out-of-stock and backordered when I purchased it earlier this week, but got an email that it's shipped and will arrive at my door on Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Great Idea 2

1 hour ago, NOLAGuy said:

I decided to buy the Behringer MEMS mike, which has a $100 MSRP, but Sweetwater offering on a special sale for $29 and free shipping plus their 2-yr warranty. It was out-of-stock and backordered when I purchased it earlier this week, but got an email that it's shipped and will arrive at my door on Monday.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ECM8000

Still on sale!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1