IK 25th Anniversary Group Buy (Continued)

marlowg01

11 minutes ago, abacab said:

Not bad. Alan was on the team that sampled a Bösendorfer® Model 290 grand piano at Mark Knopfler's British Grove Studios in London.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st3alanparsonsgrand/?pkey=st3sounds-alanparsons-grand

yeah. looking at that. read some other articles on that studio and the piano. i was just curious what people think it add to SampleTank that isn't already included. 

these are all the same piano sampled for different platforms, right?

Alan Parsons Imperial Grand Piano for Motif XS/XF/MOXF 

Alan Parsons Imperial Grand Piano Refill for Reason 

Edited by telecode 101

4 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

as per bapu.. it seems the IKM list does not detect all the Tracks stuff I have so I am able to select some of the Tracks modules I had as freebies. But not other things. I think things like DynaMu, Metering, some of the Classic series like compressor and X-Saturator.

Yeah, but if you select a freebie that is a duplicate of another freebie, you won’t be able to transfer either one.

1 hour ago, telecode 101 said:

does anyone have any thoughts on the Alan Parsons piano? 

I found it to have a pretty jarring transition to the higher overtones present in a harder strike; they come in all at once with a very small change in velocity. I've encountered this issue in a lot of sampled pianos (both acoustic and electric ) that I've tried over the years. I haven't checked it out thoroughly to determine exactly how many velocity layers it has or where the changes occur, but if I didn't know better (and I don't), I would suspect it has only two or three.

I generally prefer synths that use some form of modeling or actual 'synthesis' of sounds to help deliver a more naturally progressive timbral response to velocity change, and pure sampled pianos with no modeling component really expose shortcomings in the number of velocity layers. If you're even a moderately capable keyboard player, you're likely to be disappointed with the playability of this instrument, more so if you have experience with hardware digital pianos or some of the more advanced software pianos that model resonance, release, and continuous pedal response.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, telecode 101 said:

does anyone have any thoughts on the Alan Parsons piano? 

It kinda depends on what else you've got by way of acoustic pianos. It's not bad, and if it was an 'onboard' sound of a stage piano, I'd be pretty happy with it. With that said, I've got the full set  of VSL pianos, Garritan, Ravenscroft etc, and in hindsight it was probably silly of me to 'waste' a freebie on the Alan Parsons instrument. 

If you don't already have at least a couple of piano VIs that you like, it's probably worth picking up!

• Like 1

I'm debating on if I should get a midi keyboard and if so, iRig Keys 2 or iRig Keys 2 Pro. I'm not a keyboard player but I do use my daughters full size touch sensitive keyboard for programming drums and adding some other VSTi on occasion. I'd be a fool to not get one now since I could then get the X-Gear peddle plugins and the rest of Amplitube to add to my Amplitube 5 SE... also, I have 24 jam points to use. Thanks for letting me talk myself into it lol... anyways, since I'm not a keyboardist, I probably don't need the full-size keys, but that would make my buy-in $124 compared to $149. How much are the software versions of  the X-Gear peddles when added as freebies?

2 minutes ago, Jake Waidelich said:

I'm debating on if I should get a midi keyboard and if so, iRig Keys 2 or iRig Keys 2 Pro. I'm not a keyboard player but I do use my daughters full size touch sensitive keyboard for programming drums and adding some other VSTi on occasion. I'd be a fool to not get one now since I could then get the X-Gear peddle plugins and the rest of Amplitube to add to my Amplitube 5 SE... also, I have 24 jam points to use. Thanks for letting me talk myself into it lol... anyways, since I'm not a keyboardist, I probably don't need the full-size keys, but that would make my buy-in $124 compared to $149. How much are the software versions of  the X-Gear peddles when added as freebies?

FWIW.. I picked p a iRigs I/O on clearance and it got me into the $199 tier. Not the best build quality, but who cares.  I got so much free stuff that I really wanted from the GB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

21 minutes ago, Jake Waidelich said:

X-Gear are $149

I am a guitar player, not a keyboard player, but I am glad that my controller is full sized keys! Mini keys are too cramped for me, so much easier to hit more keys than you would like, especially when you are not too good at it. Maybe when you have your own keyboard, and stop pestering your daughter for her's 😄, you will use it more and more. Then you will appreciate if you got full size keys! Of course it also depends if you have room in your studio for a bigger keyboard...

Edited by Jacques Boileau
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

X-Gear are $149

I am a guitar player, not a keyboard player, but I am glad that my controller is full sized keys! Mini keys are too cramped for me, so much easier to hit more keys than you would like, especially when you are not too good at it. Maybe when you have your own keyboard, and stop pestering your daughter for her's 😄, you will use it more and more. Then you will appreciate if you got full size keys! Of course it also depends if you have room in your studio for a bigger keyboard...

Yeah, she moved out a couple years ago and will eventually want it back.  I only have 1 freebie left from my original buy-in so if I want the X-Gear I'll need to get the Pro anyways. I was trying to find the actual dimensions of the keyboards, but I'm pretty sure the full size one is still smaller than what I'm currently using. (Casio CTK-3000)

11 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Now with all these freebies, IK has to get to work with lots of new products!

We released the TASCAM machines and have more in the pipeline :)

1 hour ago, Jake Waidelich said:

Yeah, she moved out a couple years ago and will eventually want it back.  I only have 1 freebie left from my original buy-in so if I want the X-Gear I'll need to get the Pro anyways. I was trying to find the actual dimensions of the keyboards, but I'm pretty sure the full size one is still smaller than what I'm currently using. (Casio CTK-3000)

The dimensions are on the Specs page for our hardware, like https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeysio/index.php?p=specs

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jake Waidelich said:

If you have "adult" hands, you will appreciate full size keys, even in a compact form factor. I have large hands and find that "mini" keys are difficult to strike accurately without hitting more than one at a time...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, David Baay said:

I found it to have a pretty jarring transition to the higher overtones present in a harder strike; they come in all at once with a very small change in velocity. I've encountered this issue in a lot of sampled pianos (both acoustic and electric ) that I've tried over the years. I haven't checked it out thoroughly to determine exactly how many velocity layers it has or where the changes occur, but if I didn't know better (and I don't), I would suspect it has only two or three.

I generally prefer synths that use some form of modeling or actual 'synthesis' of sounds to help deliver a more naturally progressive timbral response to velocity change, and pure sampled pianos with no modeling component really expose shortcomings in the number of velocity layers. If you're even a moderately capable keyboard player, you're likely to be disappointed with the playability of this instrument, more so if you have experience with hardware digital pianos or some of the more advanced software pianos that model resonance, release, and continuous pedal response.

The Alan Parson's Imperial Grand was sampled for each key with 8 velocity layers, according to the description.

But you make a good point about the difference between sampled and modeled pianos. Many forums have already been filled to the brim with this discussion, and my impression is that real piano players find that the response of a modeled piano is more realistic for playing.

Although some will admit that modeled pianos can fall short of the sonic realism of some sampled pianos.

Someone already mentioned that this would be a decent freebie if you were light on pianos in your collection. I wouldn't have high expectations for this if you were already into some high end piano libraries or models.

Edited by abacab

25314 registrations have been reached so far in the GB. I wonder how high it will go? I also wonder how many actual people that number represents. And I wonder how many new customers this GB has brought into the IKM fold. I am sure Peter and team are crunching those numbers now. From this user's perspective, this GB has been a resounding success, not only from the all new toys I have to play with, but also from the community that has been built up around the group buy. Not to mention that my post count has increase dramatically because there was so much to talk about.

On 10/9/2021 at 4:23 AM, kennywtelejazz said:

I am pretty happy I was able to get these 3 X - Series plugs  .

639378946_X-Series1.thumb.jpg.95ea47f6cc87f392bb1aa64281ac7183.jpg

I have been playing them for a little over a day. 

As a Guitar Player I would have been crazy not to have gotten them . IMHO , They are very good . Out of the twenty something things I have gotten so far  from this group buy , these three  items are the plugs producing  sounds that are making me the happiest ☺️

Kenny

I haven't caught up on this new promotion thread after taking off a week. How do I find the above effects? They're not in any collection in my AT5 SE. I looked in the drop down for the promotions and don't see anything titled 3X. 

Thanks