Console view slowing down the whole UI.

I've recently recreate my scoring template in CbB,but I notice a very annoying problem.

This template contains about 700 tracks, I noticed if I open console view,every operation need about 5 second to response,like switch between tracks,changing midi channel,select or move a clip ect . this lag issue won't appear when console view is closed. So it makes me cannot use console view at all.

Is there any solution for this problem?

700 tracks is a lot to display, never mind manage.

I would recommend putting some in folders and hiding them - you can always unhide them if need be.

The less tracks in the console view, the faster it'll be.

Just now, msmcleod said:

700 tracks is a lot to display, never mind manage.

I would recommend and hiding them - you can always unhide them if need be.

The less tracks in the console view, the faster it'll be.

I tried,putting some tracks in folders and hide doesn't help.

Im going to say it as well, 700 tracks is a lot of tracks for any daw to handle. Each time you open the Console view, you are asking Cakewalk to repaint every graphic, every color and all this with moving parts (Meters, Faders, Pan, exc).

I wish I had a solution, I use max 50-70 tracks per project and views are pretty fast moving here. You might try consolidating some of these tracks.

+1 to the above, 700 tracks is a lot and I presume that also includes a fair number of VSTis.

I would recommend saving the folders mentioned above as track templates, then inserting them strategically into blank projects (by synth is a logical approach). Massive project templates can cause undue strain on a system, so it is better to use track templates as building blocks, then bounce and archive as needed for system performance.

Also bear in mind that all VSTis are not scripted the same way, and consume resources differently. No DAW can control this; it is up to the user. Even the most powerful system will fall to its knees if loaded with enough "CPU hogs."

On 5/1/2019 at 10:21 PM, Chuck E Baby said:

Im going to say it as well, 700 tracks is a lot of tracks for any daw to handle. Each time you open the Console view, you are asking Cakewalk to repaint every graphic, every color and all this with moving parts (Meters, Faders, Pan, exc).

I wish I had a solution, I use max 50-70 tracks per project and views are pretty fast moving here. You might try consolidating some of these tracks.

this template is a remake version of my cubase template.I was asked to demonstrate some basic function of cakewalk for a education organization ,so I decide to move some of my recent work from cubase to cakewalk.

Actually cubase  can easily handle over 1000 track without any lagging issue.my original cubase template  contains about 1100 tracks,there's no lagging issue at all.

25 minutes ago, Blacksymphony said:

Actually cubase  can easily handle over 1000 track without any lagging issue

Some how I knew this was coming. xD

Here's a former Cakewalk user complaining of Lag in Cubase

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127656

It can happen in any DAW. You failed to list GPU specs. I would start there. I have never had an issue what so ever changing tabs in the multi dock but then again, I've never tried 1000 tracks, not even for "educational" purposes.

I see you made this video a few weeks ago.. is this the monitor you are using ?

If that is the monitor you are using, refresh rate could be part of the problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Some how I knew this was coming. xD

Here's a former Cakewalk user complaining of Lag in Cubase

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127656

It can happen in any DAW. You failed to list GPU specs. I would start there. I have never had an issue what so ever changing tabs in the multi dock but then again, I've never tried 1000 tracks, not even for "educational" purposes.

I see you made this video a few weeks ago.. is this the monitor you are using ?

If that is the monitor you are using, refresh rate could be part of the problem.

I think you misunderstood what i'm going to say.cakewalk works pretty fine with 700 tracks,the only problem is when console view is opened,every thing takes a lot of time to respond,that's pretty wired……

I'm going to record what the problem is and report to the development team.

Actually i found another bug^_^,I will also report to them. 

Edited by Blacksymphony

38 minutes ago, Blacksymphony said:

I think you misunderstood what i'm going to say.cakewalk works pretty fine with 700 tracks,the only problem is when console view is opened,every thing takes a lot of time to respond,that's pretty wired……

You could try grouping your tracks together and switching off the metering  group by group, leaving on only the meters you're currently concerned with.

Not saying this will fix it, but it's worth a try.

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

You could try grouping your tracks together and switching off the metering  group by group, leaving on only the meters you're currently concerned with.

Not saying this will fix it, but it's worth a try.

Thanks……I think I found the reason.the lagging is caused by vst's output audio track.these track is eating all my cpu power even there's nothing in the track.

I found a solution

use Vienna ensemble pro to handle these vst's.and mix all the audio output in VE pro.not in cakewalk.

then route a stereo channel back to cakewalk.

VE pro won't slowing down by these audio output,so does cakewalk.