[SOLVED} PRV Controller Behavior. Stop The Bends!

sjoens

Is there a way for the PRV to ignore previous controller changes when re-playing a section so things like pitchbend don't throw off the notes being played while editing?

This happens when I stop playing a section before the now timeline passes through a -0- mark and then replay it - the instruments start playing at the last pitch point the timeline passed through the controller data instead of their original pitch.

The only way I know to avoid this is to go around placing -0- points for all the controllers all over the place on every track affected which is time consuming.

Edited by sjoens

Ok.  There is not really  way for the PRV to ignore previous controller changes.  It has to be programmed in the synth.

For instance, to get a synth to not respond to pitch bend, you have to find a way to set that synths pitch bend range to zero.  The method depends on the synth.

You may be able to issue a specific NPRN command - again, depends on the synth.

Some synths respond to RPN0 > 0 (TTS-1 being an example) Events to set the pitch bend range to zero.

Thanks for the info. Not really sure about implementing N/RPNs. Per instrument? Per project? per track? Sounds like a new learning curve for me.

Might be easier just adding -0- markers everywhere as I've done forever. Just wondered if there was  an easier way.

Edited by sjoens

5 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Not really sure about implementing N/RPNs. Per instrument? Per project? per track? Sounds like a new learning curve for me.

Might be easier just adding -0- markers everywhere as I've done forever. Just wondered if there was  an easier way.

How are the pitch bends getting there in the first place? 

I do many MIDI only projects and use pitch bend all the time. The only pitch bends that get put in there are the ones I have intentionally put in there.  I always remember to put a Bend = 0 event afterwards.  I have written a CAL script that zeros last pitch bend event of a group of selected pitch bend event to make the easier. This CAL script is bound to ALT E

I have written another CAL Script that automatically places a Bend = 0 slightly before every selected note.  If no notes are selected, it puts it at the NOW cursor.  This CAL script is bound to ALT W

I have P/B controllers in several tracks. As I'm editing a set of notes in one track, I replay that section to hear the changes.

If I stop the PLAY when NowTime line is half way through a set of P/B controllers on any other track without passing -0- and then I move the NowTime line back to replay the same section over again, the other tracks play out of pitch.

"Make sure you have  "Zero controllers when play stops " selected.  EDIT > PREFERENCES> PROJECT> MIDI ."

Thanks RBH! That's what I was looking for. Normally these are checked for this reason but this project had them unchecked.

Edited by sjoens