cakewalk and Roland A300 pro midi controller

I've been trying to download it for about 3 hours now. Thats really the only reason I decided to try cakewalk if it had something more to offer than the sounds in bandlab. I have already tried to run it as administrator and all of that so I don't know what to do from there. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. 

Have you read the APro manual? It's a bit complex but with help from that and from here you should be able to find a way through. The drivers should install automatically now I think unless they have been discontinued - you will also need the APro programme. Control Plan 1 and 19 are mapped to CbB on my APro but it's not the most intuitive of controllers

• Great Idea 1

8 hours ago, Mickey Monster said:

All we need is some fricking drivers

Hey relax!

Here are your drivers! :)

https://www.roland.com/ca/support/by_product/a-300pro/updates_drivers/703e59c5-65de-492a-993f-33726f044a6c/

A-PRO Driver Ver.1.0.3 for Windows 10

This contains information on the A-300PRO / A-500PRO / A-800PRO driver compatible with Microsoft Windows 10.

Driver for Windows 10

Your computer automatically downloads the Windows(R) 10 driver from the Internet when a product requiring the driver is connected to the computer.
For detailed information about the driver, check "Download File" at the bottom of this page.

* Under normal conditions, the driver installation is completed in several minutes. It may take about 10 minutes depending on the Internet connectivity or if there are other drivers being installed for other devices.
* A problem may have occurred if the device is connected but cannot be used after waiting for 10 minutes. Download the detailed information for the driver and refer to "Troubleshooting."

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

I gave him that link yesterday as well as explained why. You  probably missed that after he filled 2 pages with rants😮

I think what Roland and Yamaha have done is a good thing. People were to lazy to download the proper drivers so they handed them over to Microsoft and said, here use these instead of yours for our products.  The driver says Roland in device manager so thats all you need to know. If it was generic it would say Microsoft. 

My A49 uses the same drivers after checking that out. They are from 2015. But they are solid and it’s the best midi driver on my machine. 
I think the OP is blaming the midi drivers with using the controller as a control surface.
I don’t think that has anything to do with the midi driver. That is a different system that is out side my realm of experience. That requires a bit of research and fussing about are far as I can tell. 
There’s been no shortage of threads on the topic of using a control surface with Cakewalk. 

To the op. If you want to notify a member do this @azslow3

Now they will get a notification and hopefully respond. He’s very good at this stuff. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mickey Monster said:

ok the roland website driver is the same... version 1.0.0.0. nothing works. now I need to manually map everything if I even can even if I knew how which I dont so now Im really disappointed its just another generic midi controller with no mapping to Sonar or CWb whatsoever and I'm probably gonna send it back (unless one of you knows how to go in knob by knob and assign everything to where its supposed to go) and just get a yamaha MX 49. 

The driver itself has nothing to do with mapping. The driver is only for MIDI over USB support.

My post has a link to the "A-PRO Series Control Surface Plug-in for SONAR" that you will need for mapping in Cakewalk.

It is not a driver, but is available further down the list of downloads for A-PRO at Roland's site. It's still available for download.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mickey Monster said:

Abacab... how do I make a custom ACT or Cakewalk controller map that reassigns the functions that were available until I bought this?

Try downloading and installing the plugin that was designed for that purpose! :)

"A-PRO Series Control Surface Plug-in for SONAR."

FYI, Roland sold Cakewalk to Gibson in 2013 (8 years ago). So Roland isn't very likely to get involved in the software side of this DAW ever again. Good luck with trying though!

And Gibson shut down Cakewalk completely in 2017 (4 years ago). BandLab was kind enough to buy the intellectual property, but not the company, from Gibson and re-release Cakewalk as Cakewalk by BandLab.

Since Cakewalk is now a free DAW, I don't see manufacturers lining up to make hardware for it. They are sticking to mainstream commercial DAWs for integration.

But with a little bit of effort (not a lot, but you will need to read the manual) you can get the A-PRO to work fine with Cakewalk. With a bit more effort, you can get other controllers to work as well. But if you are looking for "plug-and-play" out of the box support, you will probably need to use one of those other DAWs. Your choice!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I gave him that link yesterday as well as explained why. You  probably missed that after he filled 2 pages with rants😮

I saw that. Good effort, anyhow. I understand the frustration, I don't get the need rants either... 🙄

OK. Sorry for the rant everyone. Dove into a bottle of tequila after 6 hours of failed attempts and frustration and woke up  up next to this beautiful little mute. Bad Mickey. Lets see if we can read her papers better and get her to talk. 

Now, yesterday I found that the automatic downnload I got from this link

https://www.roland.com/ca/support/by_product/a-300pro/updates_drivers/703e59c5-65de-492a-993f-33726f044a6c/

is in fact not version 1.0.0.3 like it says it is on the roland support page. Inside my device manager page under properties / details it says its version 1.0.0.0 last updated in 2015.

I'm going to be more patient today and try again.

Under the driver I installed yesterday when I turn her on she says  ACT map 1 is for cubase. ACT map 0 is for Sonar. Thats right... zero.

Ill post again later.

Thanks for not giving up on me.

21 minutes ago, Mickey Monster said:

OK. Sorry for the rant everyone. Dove into a bottle of tequila after 6 hours of failed attempts and frustration and woke up  up next to this beautiful little mute. Bad Mickey. Lets see if we can read her papers better and get her to talk. 

Now, yesterday I found that the automatic downnload I got from this link

is in fact not version 1.0.0.3 like it says it is on the roland support page. Inside my device manager page under properties / details it says its version 1.0.0.0 last updated in 2015.

I'm going to be more patient today and try again.

Under the driver I installed yesterday when I turn her on she says  ACT map 1 is for cubase. ACT map 0 is for Sonar. Thats right... zero.

Ill post again later.

Thanks for not giving up on me.

Tip: the current Windows 10 driver is supplied by Microsoft.com now, not by Roland.

How to force Windows 10 to go and  get it? I'm not sure. You can try using Windows device manager, and under your device properties > driver > update driver,  and ask it to update the driver for your keyboard device. It might ask you if you want Windows to locate the best driver for your device. It's been a while, but as best I can recall that's how it's done.

Edited by abacab

So, uninstalled driver, restarted windows, went to rolands link... plugged her in...  a minute later the driver was in my apps... no window no prompt no install wizard... nothing. It was just there. Spooky. So I opened up the read me and set midi devices inside cakewalk...

heres the key... the manual said to open a new project and insert rgc audio square (32 bit) soft synth. So I did and now knobs and faders, everything works. You were all right and I was just not following instructions. Bad Mickey.

Now I'm going to work on trying to play some other VSTS... Thanks Abacab and everyone

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mickey Monster said:

So, uninstalled driver, restarted windows, went to rolands link... plugged her in...  a minute later the driver was in my apps... no window no prompt no install wizard... nothing. It was just there. Spooky. So I opened up the read me and set midi devices inside cakewalk...

heres the key... the manual said to open a new project and insert rgc audio square (32 bit) soft synth. So I did and now knobs and faders, everything works. You were all right and I was just not following instructions. Bad Mickey.

Now I'm going to work on trying to play some other VSTS... Thanks Abacab and everyone

Did you install the A-PRO control surface plugin yet? That's how you get full control.