Project Workflow Question

Bill Phillips

Question

Do you use Aux Tracks or Buses for Group and FX channels and why?

Originally I used Buses modeling the hardware mix console layout because it was the only practical choice. When Aux Tracks became available and the patch point bugs worked out, I switched to Aux Tracks because I like having Group tracks adjacent to the source tracks and FX distributed across the console logically. But now I'm wanting to use more Track Templates and finding that Track Templates can create and populate buses for their outputs and sends, but not Aux Tracks.

So far I haven't had too much luck using Project Templates. Adapting the templates I create usually seems like more work than starting from scratch for some reason.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Edited by Bill Phillips

3 answers to this question

I use buses exclusively. The only time I use aux tracks is when I want to bounce some audio to one so that I can apply special effects like reverse reverb.

One of the things that I like about buses in Cakewalk is that they are separated from the other tracks. Opposite from what you like.

As far as templates go, yeah, I guess it's a tradeoff. I have tried to create templates whenever I notice myself repeating actions during a project. Such as putting my favorite compressor on the snare and kick, or my favorite reverb on a send bus, or setting up a bus for monitoring, my typical master bus chain, etc. The repetitive drudge work at the start of most projects.

The more different a project is, the less valuable templates are to me. I have yet to get going with track templates, but there's some promise in that concept.

I guess is a matter of what works best for you and the particular project you are in?

For me, buses are very handy and use a lot of them, often in a cascade of buses of instruments going to buses of submixes of family of instruments (i.e String Sections,  Mallets, Drums, etc),  going to pre-master bus and then to the Master Bus... you name it. The way you can manage them in the console view is very practical, and you always can hide or show what you need, color code them, etc.

Aux tracks for me are just an additional tool for specific tasks or needs.  For example, I found them very useful (and necessary), for configuring remote recording plugins, that needs aux tracks to work.

I think the difference for some seems to be they want to work in track view and not console view. I guess if you don’t have 2 monitors that could explain it. I live in console view once I’m done tracking and editing. 
If you only have one monitor use the D key and make the console view full screen. 
I played around with auxiliary tracks when they first came out but have never found a reason for using them since.   
One thing about track templates is they can remember a lot of extra stuff that saves time. 
When I insert my guitar amp template it chooses the correct input, it puts TH 5 in the bin, pro channel is good to go. And it automatically inserts a guitar buss with delay inserted. It’s also the right colour which is most important 😬

• Like 1