Cakewalk does not recognize vst plugin.

Jakub

Hello. I have problem with installing this plugin in cakewalk: https://plugins4free.com/plugin/189/?fbclid=IwAR0_mfQbgAliY1mpCVoaHgMLBBIQoy7pLbkY-OfEJahnM-ERsz3il7AsnwA

Cakewalk scans it but according to genrted scan log thinks it is NOT a VST plugin. What's even weirder I just confirmed that another user downloaded it from the same source that I did and it was added to cakewalk without any problems. Any ideas what might be causing this error? I am pasting a fragment from a scan log below.

VSTSCAN: ---- 29: c:\pluginy vst\SaxiPlayer\SAXi103beta8.dll ----
VSTSCAN: [ShortPath] c:\PLUGIN~1\SAXIPL~1\SAXI10~1.DLL
VSTSCAN: [RegKey] Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory\c:/pluginy vst/SaxiPlayer/SAXi103beta8.dll
VSTSCAN: Previously scanned - NOT a VST plugin

5 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

it's 32bit so make sure it's in the scan path that bitbridge looks at?

A moment ago I added random vst effect plugin and it added smoothly. Does bit bridge treat VSTi other way than than VST Fx?

2 minutes ago, Jakub said:

A moment ago I added random vst effect plugin and it added smoothly. Does bit bridge treat VSTi other way than than VST Fx?

it's the difference between 32bit and 64bit plugins, you need bitbridge for 32bit but 64bit can go in the regular scan place/paths

BitBridge automatically loads when a 32bit plug-in is encountered.

If this is 32bit, it may be an old SynthEdit plug-in. Can't tell from the website.

In that case, it may require running the DAW as administrator or installing the plug-in in a folder where regular users have write permission.

I just installed another VST instrument form this site that is also 32 bit and it loaded succesfully. So looks like the problem is with this plugin only but as I mentioned another person loeded it into cakewalk with out any problem. Running as an administrator did not help. Same thing in a log - "VSTSCAN: Previously scanned - NOT a VST plugin"

The log shows it was previously scanned and determined not to be a plug-in.

Normally plug-ins  are scanned one time.

Subsequent scans will not rescan the plug-in unless running a VST reset or "rescan failed plug-ins" is enabled.

If you perform a manual scan with "rescan failed plug-ins" enabled make sure to deselect the option after scanning.

1 minute ago, scook said:

The log shows it was previously scanned and determined not to be a plug-in.

Subsequent scans will not rescan the plug-in unless running a VST reset or "rescan failed plug-ins" is enabled.

If you perform a manual scan with "rescan failed plug-ins" enabled make sure to deselect the option after scanning.

So to be sure - now i should:

1. Run Cakewalk as an administrator
2. Select "rescan failed plugins" in plugin manager options
3. Do a manual rescan?

That or a VST Reset while running the DAW as administrator.

Run all scans/resets from Preference > File > VST Settings and not the plug-in manager.

And if you use the "rescan failed plugins" option make sure to disable it after running the manual scan.

Leaving the rescan options enabled can cause problems.

Based on the comments from other users dating back to 2010 (including the ratings--3.0 out of 5 with 44 users), I am wondering if you can find a more recent plug-in that might meet your needs. 

Also, according to your post, the dll is a beta version (SAXi103beta8.dll).  If it never made it beyond  the beta stage, it might be buggy.

Just a suggestion (based on years of experience trying to get things to work and having wished I hadn't spent so much time on them).

• Great Idea 1

The file has "beta" in the name, was created in 2006, is still at version 1.0.1 and hasn't been updated since 2011.

That's what we call "abandonware". It happens often, usually when a hobbyist creates a plugin for the fun of it and then moves on with his life. Moving on might be your best strategy, too.

• Great Idea 1

33 minutes ago, Jakub said:

You are all right and although  I found a subsitute  what bothers me is that another user did run it so clearly something is wrong with my CW configuration.

Nothing is wrong with your CbB configuration. It's a 32 bit plugin  that was abandoned a decade ago while it was still in beta. It's a wonder it worked for the other guy.

10 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

you could try it in a stand-alone vst host (like savihost or something)  to be sure it works

FWIW I did a quick test with Tone2 NanoHost 32-bit (which has worked with other 32-bit dlls for me**), but Saxi didn't work on my PC.  

**I just retested two other 32-bit freebies with NanoHost 32-bit: AAS Player and Proteus VX.  Both work.  Also retested Saxi.  It seems to run under NanoHost (UI works), but produces no audio.

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

That's what we call "abandonware". It happens often, usually when a hobbyist creates a plugin for the fun of it and then moves on with his life. Moving on might be your best strategy, too.

Considering there seems to be just one plug-in from that person, hobbyist's abandonware seems to be an apt description.