Location of arpeggiator presets

Starship Krupa

Question

I just added a second SSD to my laptop and moved C:\Cakewalk Content to it.

I also changed the location of my Documents folder to the new drive.

I lost most of my folder locations once I did this, but I sorted it out in Preferences. The only thing that's still missing, even after I copied Cakewalk Content back to C:\ are the stock arpeggiator patterns.

How can I fix this? I looked in the registry, in the Cakewalk INI files, and could find nowhere that the location is specified.

4 answers to this question

For goodness sake, please start using directory junctions instead of messing with the registry and preferences.

They are much safer, easy to setup and don't require any changes to the registry or preferences.

If you need help with directory junctions ask or search this forum for mklink or the old Cakewalk forum (use Google, site:forum.cakewalk.com mklink scook)

There are plenty of worked examples and details on how to use mklink.

That said, I do change a couple of paths in preferences instead of creating junctions. The reason being, I don't want the installers to write into the paths. The two I change are drum maps and project templates. The installers update the default locations only so using custom locations for these two areas prevents them from being overwritten by updates.

There are a couple of arp paths.

In HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core\UserPaths

is ArpPresetFolder

the default value is C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\Arpeggiator Patterns

in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Core\ContentLocations

is PTN MIDI Patterns

the default value is C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core\PTN MIDI Patterns

• Thanks 2

When I moved the directory, I didn't know ahead of time that Cakewalk lacks front-facing configuration for some of the ancillary file locations, and wouldn't respond to just moving everything back. Turns out that if it doesn't find the files where it thinks they are, it just goes ahead and resets things to Cakewalk Core in your AppData folder.

The last time I tried messing with mklink, I had a hard time getting my head around the syntax, but I'll give it another shot.

I found this thread while I was trying to fix my arpeggiator (thanks @scook) and thought I'd mention a utility called Link Shell Extension.
I've been using it for a long time... makes creating all kinds of links a breeze; you can do it directly in explorer. It might make @Starship Krupa's life easier 😋

Edited by Variorum
  • Like 1