AAS Ultra Analog VA-3 updated to v3.2.3

scook

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/portal/login/

or use the direct link which is

https://www.applied-acoustics.com/dl/yourUtraAnalogSerialNumber/

from the email -

Fixes

* Fixed behaviour of envelopes when looping in ADR mode.

* Fixed create pack dialog in browser.

* Fixed module preset dialog.

* Fixed VST3 plug-in editor resize in Acoustica Mixcraft.

Notes

* This installer can simply be run over your current installation to perform the update.

* This installer is a full installer so you can use it as a starting point if you need to reinstall from scratch in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Philip G Hunt said:

Any unusual activity with AAS products after installing?

I have installed two similar updates in this newest batch of AAS updates.  I didn't have any unusual activity with those.  Are you asking because you noticed something odd?  Since I haven't done this one yet, I can keep a lookout for something odd.  So, what should I look for?

• Thanks 1

I haven't updated my AAS products for a while. I remember there was an update (this year?) that made it impossible to open several instances of their instruments and caused agonizingly slow performance.

If they've fixed all that, I'm happy to update.

8 minutes ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I haven't updated my AAS products for a while. I remember there was an update (this year?) that made it impossible to open several instances of their instruments and caused agonizingly slow performance.

I remember some Cakewalk users reporting some issues, but I saw those before I updated, so I waited.  IIRC shortly after the issues were reported AAS had a follow-up update that fixed those issues.  The two that I updated this time around (Chromaphone and Objeq Delay) haven't had issues so far; nor did they cook dinner, wash the dishes, or tuck me in at night.  😛  YMMV. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

IMO, the AAS developers and company are among the best in the bunch! Say what you want, but these folks seem to stay on top of things, as well as offer occasional freebies and deals.

Creating virtual instruments is no small task, and having bugs is par for the course. So it's how you deal with them that really matters!

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 10:59 AM, LAGinz said:

Their installers have finally stopped distributing numerous extra dls throughout my hard drive. A good development!

I like to think that the polite but firm email that I wrote them detailing the mess that their installer made had some effect. I went into how after every single install of even just a soundpack I had to go around and delete all these megs of unwanted .dll's and 32-bit VST3's. Two releases later, and there's not a single spurious file left after an A|A|S install. Bravo to those brilliant Canadians.

Having said that, though, the first time I open an A|A|S UI takes longer to display the UI (with all other visual elements in the DAW static until it finishes) than it takes to start Cakewalk. Same in Mixcraft. I don't know what they're doing, but it's annoying. Subsequent openings of the UI are fine, it's just the first that sits there.

And if you're seeing performance hits with Player or probably the full versions, cutting the number of voices down from 12 to 8 helps immensely. Some of their pad sounds have really long tails that can stack up.

Edited by Starship Krupa

37 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

And if you're seeing performance hits with Player or probably the full versions, cutting the number of voices down from 12 to 8 helps immensely. Some of their pad sounds have really long tails that can stack up.

There's a few presets in Chromaphone 3 that do better with the voices cut down to 4. I suppose physical modeling is a bit heavier on the CPU than simple sample playback...

1 hour ago, abacab said:

There's a few presets in Chromaphone 3 that do better with the voices cut down to 4. I suppose physical modeling is a bit heavier on the CPU than simple sample playback...

And of course my favorite soundpacks are the Chromophone ones.

Y'know, the thing where Player can (presumably accurately) play back patches from any of their instruments suggests that they have one engine, and the various instruments just emphasize or give access to different aspects of it. Player is just the version of the core engine with nothing but a patch browser. Could be. It can certainly chew up audio engine resources. I switched on Cakewalk's 2X oversampling and whoa. Sounded great, but I'd probably want to keep it down to a single instance, or only oversample on rendering.

BTW, for those who (like me) got free or bundled Strum soundpacks, or want to use the Strum patches that come with Player, I'm working on a how-to for that. It's similar to how it's done in Strum, but it's not done with switched articulations. Great fun once I figured it out. It's kind of odd that A|A|S sell Strum soundpacks without any instructions on how to use them with Player alone, but whatever.